1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Week One

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by kgoddard, Jul 20, 2014.

1. kgoddard

kgoddard New Member

I have just finished reading the book "The Mind-body Prescription" I am here now and ready to start on the recovery process. I completely believe in this process after trying everything possible for my migraine headaches. After trying everything, I thought, maybe it is just genetic because my mother has always had them as well as one of my sisters and my grandmother, etc. I thought, maybe I've tried everything I can and it just runs in my family so there is only so much I can do. I also believe this may have hurt me in thinking this way. I fully accept this process in believe it is mental and not physical. It completely makes sense to me after reading the book, merely for the fact that i have tried everything and it is only masking my symptoms for a short period of time. The reason I think some things may have "worked" will be because mentally i made myself believe this., but the main reason i am fully believing this is because my symptoms/pain has always returned. I also believe fully in this because I will go through phases of my migraines getting worse and better. This would make sense that during more stressful or strenuous times that my pain would come about because of repressed feelings or emotions.

Doubts and worries are endless though still even after reading and fully understanding this process. I have become so fearful to do anything that I have attributed to my migraines and this is what is causing them. The main fear I have is my food issue. For the past year and half I have attributed wheat and other foods to causing these migraines. I believe it is going to take me a long time to undo this thinking. I will still not eat wheat, but the other things that I have been tested reactive too is going to be hard to let go of. I'm fearful of exercising too hard, wearing my hair in a ponytail too tight, my posture, etc all attributing to it so this is going to be hard to let go of and move forward from. Although I have doubts, this is the one thing I truly believe will work. It is in my head, not physical.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Welcome aboard, you have come to the right place. Just keep reading and gaining knowledge. This is a marathon not a sprint, I suggest you read " Healing Back Pain" and "Great Pain Deception." These will help you get more knowledge, as Dr. Sarno said "knowledge is the penicillin."

It may take some time especially with the fear and doubt from your family. I have had the same problem just with
    back pain. Everyone in my family has back pain or anxiety. I have been programmed to think this way. So this takes the unconscious long to reprogram. There maybe up and downs but don't be discouraged, it's part of the process.

Doing the SEP is a good place to start. Another book I recomend is " Hope and Help for your Nerves" for the anxiety and fear you may have. Just remember to never lose hope. Perseverance and faith will go a long way in the process. Your mind is a powerful tool and you have what it takes to overcome this battle in spite of the migraines that run in your family. We are what we believe, best of luck with your recovery and continue to ask questions.