1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

very difficult time

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Yulia1975, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Yulia1975

Yulia1975 Peer Supporter

I have a new set of a very scary symptoms, so much discomfort in neck and shoulder, once i even got so much tensionin jaw and tongue area that i had a difficulty to speak. Another day my left face muscle got into spasm for a few scary moments...or my muscle burn...My side neck muscle acting so weird, my jaw tensed and clicks more than usual, i hear sand in my ears, sometimes blood pressure is more than usual, when i move my neck i hear every single sound of the movement, etc..and i just finished day 7 of the structured program, not sure if i should continue...and i started to see a physiotherapist in hope for relief. . I know im not following Dr Sarno at the moment, but the reality is I am so scared:( and I can not relax at all..
    When i read some success stories I feel inspiried, but there are day I dont beleive in them, I feel like someone is playing with our minds and live...
    i am a mess...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

Perhaps some would disagree, but maybe you could do PT and massage with the knowledge that yes, you are using a medical modality to treat the tension. But the tension and anxiety are really coming from your mind and reactions to life events. It's easy to become disturbingly anxious about our symptoms, create more anxiety, etc. Transient elevations in blood pressure absolutely can come from stress. So I say maybe go ahead, but just be very careful not to buy in to too much about possible structural explanations offered. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the physical therapist is already somewhat attuned to the interplay between at least stress or anxiety muscle tension.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Assuming you have been medically cleared by competent physicians for your current symptoms, go back to them and ask them for advice on treating your TMS/anxiety symptoms. Maybe some meds to relax you, so you can focus better on switching your thoughts to TMS psychological thinking, rather then focusing on the symptom distractions. Mild doses of tranquilizers have been found to help with TMS.

Forest likes this.
  4. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Yulia take a deep calming breath in through your nose and slowly out through your nose...now do it again. Feel the love and warmth I'm sending your way. I understand. I would wake up with a neck so stiff I never thought it would move again a A gripping in my trapezoid muscles. A clicking jaw. My upper back in knots.

Calming down is paramount and I agree with Tom if you can take a tranquilizer if need be to do so. If you are able to do a short mindfulness meditation video do so. Or just close your eyes and slowly breath and repeat calming and loving thoughts. Take a pillow hold it in your arms as if it was you as a child and speak calming words to this child... Hold her and love her and tell her she will be OK.

There are TMS therapists that do Skype perhaps that will help calm you to speak to a professional.

Start using your bite plate to sleep again I bet it will help with the tension in your jaw.

You will heal.
    Warmly, Susan

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Yulia. Susan is right about deep breathing but all the instructions I've read are breathe in through the nose, hold the breath a few seconds, then breathe out through the mouth.

One of the ways I relax is to watch a Youtube video on my computer for relaxation. My favorites are these two:

Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking. Michael Sealey's Australian voice puts me to sleep.
    Guided Meditation: A Gift from Your Guardian Spirit.

These are great any time of day or evening but especially calming before bedtime.

6. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Walt as a Pilates teacher regarding breathing...our nose is meant for breathing our mouths are meant for eating and kissing
    Nothing wrong with exhaling through your mouth many people do but if your nose isn't stuffed give inhaling and exhaling through your nose a try!

Gigi likes this.
  7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I too am sending warmth and blessings your way, Yulia. You WILL heal. You WILL get through this. Thousands of us have!
    Relaxation, a bubble bath, a massage, breathing exercises, and the support of people on this forum are all great resources. Use whatever modalities we helpful in getting you past crisis mode, but please do return to the SEP when your can. It's amazing.
    Blessings to you.