1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 Vertigo = Progress?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Dayton, May 3, 2019.

1. Dayton

Dayton Newcomer

My pain is located in my left leg, sacrum, and hip. Yesterday morning, I woke up and had a bout of vertigo. No previous history of vertigo, dizziness, tinitus, etc. Was definitely concerned, humbled, and a bit frustrated since vertigo is a pretty horrible experience and since I had a morning work call that I might not make. But I definitely also thought.... "TMS and brain is moving symptoms." "I read about this often from TMSer's stories and from Sarno books." Could it be progress? I have been feeling slightly improved the past couple days. But it's mixed emotions. Damn, do I have to deal with a vertigo now? My mother had it (Menier's disease) on and off for years. Did all the suggestions of that as a possible TMS symptom and reading about it make it so?
    I'm choosing to believe that it's progress. I celebrated in good spirits yesterday, moved a bit more and a bit more carelessly, connected with family, loved myself.
    Pain is worse this morning, but no vertigo today. All very interested, but it is what it is.

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Vertigo without explanation or history is probably a symptom substitution/extinction burst. On my third day of feeling better after learning about TMS, my back started hurting (never been an issue in the past). It went on and off for about a week, then disappeared. My dad has had major back issues, so I assume that's why my brain tried it. Fortunately I was able to laugh it off. Hopefully you can do the same, although (having had vertigo once) I know it is not fun. Have a good weekend,
    Ben

3. thmakled

thmakled New Member

Hey Dayton, glad you're feeling a bit of improvement. I've been noticing a bit more vertigo and dizziness as I move through the program. I had severe vertigo as part of the anxiety I lived with before the pain started (funnily enough, that all went away with the pain). Interesting is a good word for witnessing this process in ourselves.

4. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

Hi guys, interestingly, my primary diagnosis is Vestibular Migraine, which includes dizziness and vertigo as well as some other lovely symptoms, which I have every day basically.

I'm on Day 3 of actually doing the Structured Program, although I've been reading all about TMS, researching etc for a couple of weeks.

A couple of days into actually doing the program, and my left hand has gone numb! There is of course absolutely no physical reason for it. I didn't even have an injury.

But, knowing TMS, I've been meaning to write a few posts on here, some creative writing, and also articles for my websites (Writing is my No. 1 passion). Knowing what I currently know, it seems unsurprising that TMS has chosen to "pick on" my hand, trying to make me fear typing, exposing that I know what my brain is doing to me on these forums, and trying to make me worry that I won't be able to write when I love it so much.

Of course, I am not afraid - I'm not even frustrated, because I understand what it is. I actually find it quite funny. Honestly, a numb left hand? (I'm right-handed). Couldn't it do any better than that? I think it's vital to stay "curious" about our shifting symptoms. You can't be simultaneously curious and afraid.