1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Venting

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ashoo79, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

So I am sciatica patient. I am doing structured program and on day 17. Yesterday went to my GP and today she told me that I should think about the surgery. I told her I feel burning needles and pin in my lower leg but just a bit pain in my buttock area. She told me to go for surgery since the lower symptoms you have all state that your nerve is pinching and they have to do small incision to remove it. She said its all about nerve. I am speechless now even though I believe I have TMS but still I am so double minded what to do what to say. When I will get better ? I explained her a bit that brain is causing such pain she was like I got it but this is a nerve thingy burning needles sensation is not pain this sensation is about nerve. Ahhhhh what should I do

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm not a M.D. and of course can't diagnose and prescribe, but it's been my personal experience that Sciatica is usually TMS pure and simple. I started having Sciatica 6 years ago after taking a fall out running, tripping over a root in the trail. Okay, if I "pinched a nerve", how come the pain didn't start until a week later? And why did it build over a six-week period? I was under a great deal of stress at the time and it's my belief that falling on my butt was a physical trigger that initiated a psychological pain condition. I've also noticed that the more I meditate on a twice-daily basis, the more the Sciatica and weakness in my left leg goes down and down and down. How many people do you know who've had back surgery for lower lumbar pain and Sciatica in their legs that actually got better? The choice of course is your own, but I've never encountered anyone who actually got better from back surgery. See what other TMSers have to say here about this. Don't just take my word for it.

Tennis Tom and ashoo79 like this.
  3. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Bruce I know everyone recovery is different but how long it took you? Yes u r right Idid not journal yesterday Iam on day 17 and Iwas just miserable last evening and night since I spoke with MD but I did journal today and my pain just got lower. Also how was your sciatica cuz I do have pain in my butt but it's not that severe all the time but when I walk and whenever I walk my leg start burning too much that I have to sit down or I feel like if I don't sit my leg is going to be on fire
    One more thing my doc told me if it start burning you must rest for few mins because it's not good for nerves. What did u do when it happened to u did u just started physical activity right away.plz help

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Take BruceMC's good advice and "SEARCH" here for "sciatica". I had it so bad years ago, I had to fabricate a sling and a winch contraption from the ceiling above my bed, so that in the middle of the night, I could stretch my leg muscles out to get some relief from the excruciating pain. That was pre-TMS. Now it's gone.

If you label yourself, "I am a sciatica patient", you are going against the TMS protocol. Review Dr. Sarno's "12 DAILY REMINDERS", for the correct affirmations. Dr. Sarno said surgery is our best placebo--for a while.

"Dr. Sarno has also listed 12 Daily Reminders for people to review throughout their recovery. These can serve as a form of affirmations to be reviewed once a day. They are:

1. The pain is due to TMS, not to structural abnormalities
    2. The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation
    3. TMS is a harmless condition, caused by my repressed emotions
    4. The principle emotion is my repressed anger
    5. TMS exists only to distract my attention from the emotions
    6. Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear
    7. Therefore physical activity is not dangerous
    8. And I must resume all physical activity
    9. I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain
    10. I will shift my attention from the pain to emotional issues
    11. I intend to be in control - not my subconscious mind
    12. I must think psychological at all times, not physical."

Do a "SEARCH" for what others here have said about their TMS/sciatica.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    ashoo79 likes this.
  5. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Tennis Tom yes yes I agree. Just tell me one thing what should I do when the burning needles and pins flare up in my leg what should I do.

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

"12. I must think psychological at all times, not physical."

Go for a walk or a swim.
    Read a TMS book.
    Have a martini or a glass of wine and read a TMS book.

"12. I must think psychological at all times, not physical."

ashoo79 likes this.
  7. BruceMC

I'm afraid that with TMS my recovery is always on-going. But by using the Sarno methodology my improvement has been amazing. From not being able to stand on one leg to riding my bike 20 miles whenever I want to and doing leg presses with 200lbs is simply amazing. Took about 5 years for me, but everyone is different as you point out. Slow learners! Fast learners!

You just have to get it out of your head that your sciatic condition is caused by "nerve impingement". That's the structural diagnosis in a nutshell, the very one that Dr Sarno sets out to demolish. Sarno's theory insists that the pain you are experiencing is not dangerous because it's caused by a slight reduction in oxygen set in motion by your central nervous system due to internalized stress in the brain. You just have to make the intellectual connection between fluctuations in your sciatic symptoms and emotional factors in your life. Not easy to due though because the variations are by definition in the unconscious portion of your mind-brain, which you can't easily and directly access.

First of all though you have to get over the notion that you can and will "hurt yourself". You just have to get back to doing what you normally do without obsessing about your condition. Easier said than done!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

I will try my best Iwant to sync up all and then just give it a shot any given day. Thank you both of you for replying to me since I am a struggler it's really hard for me not to believe each and everything.

9. BruceMC

That's part of the struggle: Accepting Dr Sarno's TMS diagnosis completely without falling back on the structural model. But to heal completely, you've got to accept the psychological explanation and stop falling back on the old explanations.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  10. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I would say it's TMS. However, what are you out if you delay surgery long enough to finish the SEP? Nothing! So I'd suggest that you work through the SEP as best you can, and try to lick this!!

11. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Guess what guess what I went out and ran for good one minute. I can't believe I tried it. I really don't care of the outcome do u guys think I should be expecting and if there is what am I suppose to do. Thank you so much

Tennis Tom likes this.
  12. intense50

intense50 Well known member

3 months ago can't walk MAJOR butt pain calf pain. Played hockey today. Patience patience patience. The more time I give it tms reveals itself to me more and more. Steve O talks about it in the 10 things tms ers do wrong.Not commenting more because the previous posts say it all.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  13. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Intense50 you are right its just getting to know all the possible cures to heal myself is just in my mind and its part of my personality. I need to undertand that it takes time time and time. Just wasnt sure about the meds that how long to take them till when. Intense 50 you went thru a lot in your life and coming out like this is such a heroic thing. best of luck

intense50 likes this.