1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Varicose Vein Pain or TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AutumnIsMyFave, Jul 6, 2018.

1. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone out there have any experience with overcoming leg pain? I had almost never had leg pain (one of the few symptoms that I had actually never had!) until I caught influenza 2 months ago and got body aches that seemed to latch on and never fully went away. Since then, I have had on and off leg aches and pain that is sometimes quite debilitating when it is at it's worst. 2.5 months ago I returned to work after being on medical leave for a year and a half (for TMS related issues), so in the past few months I have been far more stationary and have been sitting way more than I had been in a long time.

I have been trying to treat my leg pain as TMS and had some decent success with it, although the pain still comes back and is generally worse during times of increased stress. I was feeling pretty good about how I was dealing with it, and then, of course...a few days ago I had a random thought of "the doctor told me at my last visit that I have varicose veins. What if this leg pain is actually from a medical condition and not TMS? What if this pain never goes away because it is actually something legitimate? What if going back to work brought this on from sitting so much more (apparently being stationary and sitting for long periods can make varicose vein pain worse), and it wasn't TMS triggered by the flu?......" And on and on and on the way my brain likes to do.

This was all much easier when I attributed this to TMS. Sigh.

Does anyone have any experience or insight with varicose veins and/or leg pain? I would love to hear your thoughts, as I they are always so helpful for me.

Thank you!

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi dear one,

When I had fibromyalgia I often had pain in my legs. With fibro the pain can be anywhere and often moves around. It can feel like the body aches associated with flu. But fibro is TMS and I suspect that what you're experiencing is also TMS. I haven't had varicose veins, but I also haven't heard of them causing pain. They are very common.

I don't think you need to worry. With any stationary job, it is good to get up and walk around every 30 minutes or so. I used to set the alarm on my phone to remind me to do this. Or use a standing desk at times. They are easy to make with a few boxes.

Just go back to doing what you were doing by treating it as TMS. That is great that you have had success. Your mind is just trying to scare you right now, and we all know that that is what our TMS brains like to do. So counter it with messages of love, hope, and empowerment. Have some fun and forget about TMS for awhile. Live life. Find some joy.

Wishing you the best.......

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I have some varicose veins on the inside of my left leg (the one that has TMS pain), but they never hurt by themselves per se. My late father had some too, but no pain to speak of. I'd opine that your pain is TMS related especially when I read about your influenza. That's a common enough pattern in CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) that comes on following a viral infection but never subsides or rather lingers on and on. These psychogenic pain syndromes often have similar etiologies and patterns.

4. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I have experience with varicose veins and pain in the same leg. However, the pain is NOT from the varicose veins. Like you, I didn't know I had one until someone told me (a massage therapist I went to 3 years ago). I went home and asked my husband who said, "Yeah, I've noticed it forming over the years." I never have any discomfort from the vein. It comes from muscles that tense under stress. Otherwords, for me, tms.

5. AutumnIsMyFave

Thank you for your insight, Ellen. I too was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few years ago, but leg pain was one of the few symptoms that had seemed to evade me. It is helpful to know that you experienced something similar. I have learned that TMS has many faces and can certainly keep me guessing at times. I appreciate your kind words. Wishing you the best too!

6. AutumnIsMyFave

BruceMC, that makes sense and is helpful. Thank you so much for your response!

BruceMC likes this.
  7. AutumnIsMyFave

EileenS, that is very helpful to know that you experienced something similar. I was leaning towards it being TMS, but hearing other similar stories often helps me build evidence to prove to my brain that I am onto what it is doing! Thank you!

EileenS and BruceMC like this.
  8. KiwiSunshine

KiwiSunshine New Member