1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Understanding the Process

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by John Murphy, Sep 21, 2016.

1. John Murphy

John Murphy Newcomer

I believe that I have accepted the basic idea of my migraine possibly being TMS and I have accepted the idea that pain is caused by part of my subconscious in order to distract me from what I believe to be repressed emotions in my unconscious - and I really do believe that they're there! Having said that, am I on the right track?

So when I send a message to the part of my sub-conscious creating the pain, am I talking to the subconscious part of the "adult" or the "parent", i.e. to the super-ego or the ego? I feel that if I don't understand that or address the right part of my subconscious, then I won't get the desired results.

2. Ines

Ines Well known member

Yes, you are on the right track. Migraines & headaches are TMS. I am here for migraines and have seen a lot of progress in the past 5 months since I started.
    In Dr. Sarno's book "The Mindbody Prescription" he says that the conscious part of the brain is the part that we are aware of, the unconscious part of the brain is the part we are unaware of. This is the part where rage, sadness, fear and all other emotions are stored. Then, there is the subconscious part of our brain. This is our dreams and creativity. Most people on this forum use the terms unconscious and subconscious interchangeably. I think they think it is the same thing but Sarno's book specifically says the unconscious. I could be wrong but that is what I believe is correct. So, to answer your question you are talking to your unconscious.
    I attached a copy of a chart that Steve O. has in his book "The Great Pain Deception." It breaks out the differences between the ID (child), Ego (adult), and SuperEgo (moral parent). That should help you with the differences between the 3.
    Your superego is the part of your personality that got you into this mess. It's the people pleaser and it represses the ID(child).
    Honestly, I am not sure who you exactly are talking to. I believe you talk with the ID(child). You tell him/her that everything will be ok and you soothe him/her when you can. You build awareness of your superego and try to catch yourself in action demonstrating the TMS personality traits. As you journal and build awareness your unconscious eventually backs down because it knows it cannot cause you pain anymore.
    Everybody has a different way of getting there. Some people just need to be aware that their brain is doing this. Other people need time.

Attached Files:

3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi,

I just wanted to correct one thing. Migraines are TMS if you have been diagnosed by a dr. and ruled out any other possibilities. For instance, when mine started I got a CAT scan and MRI. Everything was fine. I fit all the TMS criteria and I am more than 100% sure it is TMS for me. I just wanted to clarify that.

Hope my explanation above helps.

4. John Murphy

John Murphy Newcomer

Thanks Ines. I'm not sure trying to talk to my ID will do any good because it's so self-centred and wants to do only what will bring it pleasure - such as expressing its rage. I feel that I should be telling my Ego or my Super-Ego to stop causing the pain which supposedly distracts me from the ID's antics. I suspect it might be the Ego which, according the to "The Great Pain Deception" diagram (for which many thanks!) does what it feels is necessary to ensure our survival. If it senses the ID's rage, the Ego will want to protect me from it. It seems to me that the Super-Ego is determined to put a brave face on everything for the sake of my reputation in my society. Well, you've helped me to come to that conclusion. Thanks!

Ines likes this.