1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Schubiner Understanding and Overcoming Fear

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Forest, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey everyone,

Fear is a huge part of TMS. A lot of us start TMS treatment after being in pain for a long time. We have been conditioned to fear physical activity and our symptoms, but thinking along these lines will only prevent us from recovery. Dr. Howard Schubiner wrote the following blog post on fear which I thought I would post hear. Dr. Schubiner has graciously allowed us to repost his blog articles on the wiki. The following is also on the page Relapser's Curse, there is hope.

Soph1802, ttdsprtra, suky and 16 others like this.
  2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Thanks so much for posting this, Forest! I definitely needed to hear this today.

3. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

fear is the biggest component in creating MBS symptoms in my opinion thanks much for posting this i'm going to read more of Dr. Shubiner's blogs

4. dabatross

i wonder if Dr. Schubiner would respond to this question "How do you deal with fear in situations where you face the fear (for me it would be doing nearpoint tasks with my eyes) but you still feel the fear as you're doing them?" This is something I haven't seen brought up on the forum before usually when dealing with fear people are asked to face it head on. What happens if you face your fears on a daily basis head on but you're worrying/fearing them as you're doing them? It doesn't really solve the problem of facing your fear if you're fearing it anyway as you're doing it which is my problem.

5. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Good question. I've added it as a question for our Q&A with an Expert program. It may not go to Dr. Shubiner, but I'll see if Dr. Zafirides will answer it.

6. dabatross

That would be great thanks Enrique for redirecting this. By the way did you see my post about your success story on video? I was wondering, if you didn't mind, if you would be willing to do a success story video like Forest did. I found his very helpful and I think yours would be very helpful as well. I read your success story but I think in a video format it would be even better.

Thanks

7. David B

David B Well known member

Amazing! Another example of the universe and this great community supporting me exactly when and how I needed it.

8. Sanghagirl82

Sanghagirl82 Peer Supporter

Thank you Forest. That was a timely post for me. I am keeping it for future reference

9. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Bodhigirl likes this.
  10. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Is it possible that the page is down? How can I read more from Dr Schubiner?
    I came to this post because today I feel a lot of fear, but a few days ago it was anger! And it was strange, I have never been so angry at my symptoms before!

11. Mala

Mala Well known member

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

A wonderful exchange of posts on fear. The Schubiner article is terrific.

I know from experience that it isn't easy, but the best way to handle fear is to tell it to go to hell and do what you are afraid to do.

13. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

14. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

This was excellent!! I know that fear is a huge factor - if not the main factor - in my MBS/TMS symptoms. I want to share this in a CFS Recovery group. :)

15. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

I was suddenly overwhelmed with fear this morning to the point of crying. Reading these words from Dr Schubiner has given me so much comfort and hope. I believe he is a very compassionate man committed solely to helping others. I had been suffering for 18 months with myofascial pain and multiple trigger points which developed following a pelvic trauma. Like many others I tried every treatment and therapy there was, chiropractic, massage, dry needling and even deep shock wave therapy all of which gave me more and more pain and tension in my body.
    I came across a video by Dr Schubiner whilst searching the net and on an impulse decided to email him to ask if he thought I may have the condition. He replied immediately and put me in touch with Georgie here in the UK. I am now working with a therapist and have been amazed at what we have uncovered about my childhood and how my traits of perfectionism and goodism(??) developed and have contributed to my symptoms. I am sure my feelings of fearfulness (which is a big trait in me) arose during the war years as I was born during that time (in fact the night of my birth a bomb was dropped in the next town) and I have experienced so much loneliness and fear all my life despite having the most wonderful loving caring husband I could wish to have and two fine boys who would always be there for me if I need them. My biggest fears now are (1) will I ever get better and be able to do all the happy fun things I used to do hiking, cycling and dancing and (2) I cannot bear the idea of living without my husband should he go before me. Therefore I tend to feel I am in a hurry to get well so that I can cope if ever I have to live alone.
    I have had so much comfort reading all that you lovely people have written, and when I am down I turn to the forum for support and encouragement. So thank you Forest for this post and all you lovely Generous Americans for sharing your stories, hopes and fears. God Bless you all

16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Abbo. It is normal to worry or be fearful about a spouse "going" before we go. Maybe don't think it will be who goes before whom but that you will both live a long, happy life and then go at the same time, hand in hand to paradise. It must have been scary living in the UK during World War II when the German bombs fell. I was 11 when the US entered the war after Pearl Harbor, and it scared me, too, and probably left me with some feelings of insecurity, or not being safe. Maybe you want or expect life now to be perfect, to make up for the past, so you are a perfectionist and goodist person.
    Try to modify those character traits. Just lighten up on them. Don't expect so much from life, and be very grateful for the loving husband you have, and the two sons to look after you in later years.

17. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Thank you Walt for your wise words. The problem is my earliest memories are of V.E day, I remember pretty fairy lights and parties in the valley in which we lived. I don't remember the horrors of the war which leads me to wonder what lies buried within me. My mum was very frightened like so many others and she lived with anxiety all her life and I do know that had a big impact on me.
    My therapist is wonderful and he is helping me to uncover so many stress issues that have occurred in my life. I know I will "get there" just a matter of patience (on my part) and time and being able to deal with my anxiety and fears.

18. SophieM

SophieM New Member

I must have read this thread at least ten times. I am so grateful it is here for those darker moments, which inevitably appear from time to time. So thank you for putting this up.

19. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi Sophie, keep referring to this blog re fear. I have been so frightened of TMS symptoms but I now tell myself (affirmation) " I am not afraid of these mind body symptoms they cannot harm me" I say them over and over. Just try to keep reassuring yourself that you are not afraid, you will overcome this TMS, lots of people do. It's hard in the early days but "hang in there"

20. SophieM

SophieM New Member

Thank you for this Abbo. I have been repeating your affirmations almost constantly over the last 24 hours and it has really helped. I hope that this will become part of my repertoire of things to use to manage the fear. I feel that different days need different tricks!