1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Ulnar nerve subluxation

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Cain, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Hi everyone,

Over the last few years I've expierenced many TMS symptoms including:
    - plantar fasciitis
    - knee tendonitis
    - low back pain
    - upper back/ neck pain
    - tennis elbow
    - forearm pain
    - wrist pain
    - skin conditions
    - irritated bowels

After reading one of Dr. Sarno's books and the Pain Recovery Program by Alan Gordon I've managed to reduce all of these symptoms to the point where I don't worry about them anymore. But the symptoms are not completly gone and I'm more aware of my anxiety right now.

When I started to lift weights again I noticed a nasty popping on the inside of the right elbow. An echo showed that this is the ulnar nerve snapping over de medial epicondyle (also known as ulnar nerve subluxation). A few years ago, before my TMS symptoms started, I could lift weights without any elbow problems. Now this ulnar nerve snapping is causing me some irritation in the arm.

It is hard for me to believe that I developped a structural issue by doing nothing.
    But this symptom is also hard for me to accept as a TMS symptom because of the structural nature of the issue. I feel like I should not ignore possible nerve damage on the long run due to this.

My question is whether ulnar nerve subluxation could be:
    - a TMS symptom
    - something not to worry about
    - a structural issue that needs medical attention

Your help is greatly appreciated,
    Cain

2. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

I had the same condition diagnosed about 20 years ago and had ulnar nerve transposition surgery at the left elbow. On reflection, knowing what I know now, I believe it was TMS and that my surgery was unnecessary. By the way, even after the surgery, I can still feel the nerve popping and snapping (painlessly), especially when performing cable triceps pushdowns.

3. Keffy

Keffy Newcomer

A bit late but do you know how TMS can cause subluxation? I currently have it and struggle to believe it's TMS since there's actual movement and snapping.

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Nerves don't get damaged that easy. I actually wish they would , because than they would stop sending pain signals (LOL)... when I am having a relapse I fantasize about going around my body with scissors and cutting all of the offending nerves. Who needs them anyways?

I think you have a conditioned response with that noise. Sarno discussed those 'noises' in Healing Back Pain. Like cracking knuckles. Harmless. However it only takes something to happen in concert once or twice for us to get conditioned....if that noise or pop happened while you were having a TMS episode (or it was a trigger), it will keep doing so unitl you break that conditioning.

I have too many pops and noises and stuff like that to inventory. As soon as I read Sarno, I disregarded them...some went away and some stayed...but the pain stopped

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I would like to give an update on my situation.
    I have come to believe that the subluxation of the ulnar nerve is due to the way my body is built and that there is nothing to do about it (other than surgery). There was a period when this caused some pain and numbness which went away with the TMS approach.
    The popping in the elbow is still there but now it goes unnoticed and does not cause pain or discomfort anymore.

Hopefully this gives support to others dealing with this.