1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

twisted knee

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eline, Jul 22, 2015.

1. eline

eline Peer Supporter

Hi there

A couple of months ago I twisted my knee pretty badly. I could still walk but on the moment of twisting it hurt pretty bad and the day after it was rather painful. Doctor said i had to take rest. It got a little better but since it took pretty long I started exercising slowly and carefully but too early again, it wasn't really better yet since it got more painful again. Stupid as I was, I did this multiple times. Since a month, I'm giving it complete rest.

I am familiar with tms and have suffered from serious tms on other body parts before. Could the longer healing time have anything to to with tms? I feel like it is not getting better at all anymore, staying the same. Or is this because i started too early?

2. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Did you get an MRI? Sometimes knee injuries can take awhile to heal, and sometimes the injury heals quickly but the TMS pain just piggy-backs on the initial injury.

Alan

3. eline

eline Peer Supporter

Hey Alan. Thanks for your response. No MRI, but they made an echo quickly after the injury, and then they could see the meniscus was a overstretched. Recovery should take six weeks. I think it will be very hard to get an MRI since this is really expensive and doctors are quite reluctant to prescribe one, only for real serious injury or when there are really in doubt.

4. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Sounds plausible. I tore my meniscus in 2010 and it took a few months before I felt totally back to normal. Follow your doctor's advice. I'd tell myself the following: If I overstretched my meniscus, it will heal with time, and if it's TMS, as long as I don't give it too much fear/attention, it will fade too. So either way I'm okay.

The goal is to really try and undermine the preoccupation with the pain.

5. eline

eline Peer Supporter

Thanks for your advice! It is not torn, that much I clear, only overstretched. Should take no longer than six weeks according to the doc but it is taking longer, that's why I'm wondering. But I'll stick to taking it easy for now :)

Btw, do you happen to know any tms doctors in Europe or even the Netherlands?

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, eline. Your knee pain may be caused by TMS emotions, but also you might consider taking a warm bath with Epsom salts in the water.
    It's magnesium and most everyone is deficient in that mineral. I fell on my back some years ago and could barely walk. I soaked in a warm bath owith a couple of cups of Epsom salt and healed within two days, able to walk again with no pain. Maybe give it a try. I may also be caused by repressed emotions or a perfectionist or "goodist" personality, so I suggest you begin the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site. It helps us to discover the emotional causes of our pains.