1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Trying to dive in

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Scozza, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Scozza

Scozza New Member

two months ago I was doing what I love, stand up paddle boarding. It is a new sport for me and my wife was telling me to start off slow because I tend to over do it and get injured. 4 months ago I gave up running due to patella tendinitis because of a tight IT Band. So after doing my longest paddle yet 2 months ago, I woke up the next day not being able to walk. It took 4 days for me to be able to walk straight again. Nerve pain in my legs followed but soon went away. After two weeks of rest I was back paddling again. Two weeks later my back was blown again with nerve pain going into both legs. While in Mexico later that month, I got an MRI. The MRI showed a herniated disc on my L5. When I returned home I went to a physical therapyst who told me to do cobra pose or Mckenzie back bend and as soon as I can go 14 days without leg pain to come back in. When I got to two days no back pain, I discovered the mind body connection book. I read the book and am on 4 days no leg or back pain now. I believe in it, I just don't understand why I felt the pain immediately after over doing it in a sport that really stresses your back. Common logic tells me that injured my back. The book is saying my pent up emotions are causing the pain. So is the bulging disc not pushing on the nerves that cause my leg pain? What is the cause of the bolts of nerve pain in my legs then?

Further back story: I use to race bicycles professionally over in Europe until stomach troubles ruined my career. Doctors first blamed it on IBS and then said unspecified colitis. Since retiring in 2012 and moving back to California, I have suffered wrist pain from over doing push ups, left knee pain from running and now low back and leg nerve pain. Oh ya In the past I also got tension headaches from clavicle surgery. I've suffered 7 concussions in the past from bike accidents.

Now I just want to get rid of my back pain so I can do my simple hobbies. Any advice to my questions above would be great. Thank you.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Your MRI showed a herniated disc, but Dr. Sarno says in HEALING BACK PAIN
    that herniated discs do not cause pain. The pains you've been having look to me to be
    caused by TMS, repressed emotions or a perfectionist-goodist personality.
    Most of us have or have had pains because of those emotions and traits.

If you haven't read Sarno's book yet, or learned about TMS, here is a video about it all:

http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-to-know-to-heal-from-pain-pt-1.5482/

3. Scozza

Scozza New Member

Thanks Walt.