1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

TMS vs getting older

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by patelios, Mar 16, 2020.

1. patelios

patelios Newcomer

Hi there.

Hope you're all well. In the ongoing battle with our minds and emotionas in accepting a TMS diagnosis I just wanted to ask a question. I am 36 now and over the past few years I have had 5-6 episodes where my lower left back has a lot of pain and I tilt to one side and it's excruciating for a few days and eventually eases off and life is okish again.

This has happened more frequently recently. Could one not purely argue that this is a result of getting older and that muscles/joints are more susceptible to repetitive injuries? I guess I am asking why has this flared up more frequently in recent times? OR does TMS work in that way as we get older and so despite it actually being TMS, you are likely to get more moments like this as you get older?

I have read Sarno's work but just don't remember if that was covered and as I constsntly battle with my mind about TMS, it just sometimes feel like it's me getting older and the flare ups are more frequent.

Is that simply my mind taking advantage of my age and the doubts that creep in with age?

Cheers
    Mihir

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

My answer is absolutely NO.

When I was your age, I could not do a single push-up, I had substantial pains in my upper back, 5 years later I got a serious lower back pain, could barely walk half a mile. 4 years ago I was told that I should never put any pressure on my wrists and that I needed a surgery to save myself, which I refused.

I am 62 now. I recently got myself to 40 pushups in a single set. I have no back pain, I run half-marathons and hiked couple marathon-length hikes, each in a single day. I go backpacking with the 30+ lbs backpack and my back feels great on the trail. I climbed a 4400 meter peak last summer and plan on doing more, if coronavirus does not get me :=).

Like you, I thought that my pains were a matter of aging. Turns out, all my pains were TMS. Read this:

https://www.amazon.com/Defying-Verdict-Defeated-Chronic-Pain-ebook/dp/B0834Q46SM/

ladyofthelake and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The age-TMS connection is in our brains. It's the result of rage and fear over getting older. Seriously negative emotions that are unacceptable on so many levels that they must be repressed and replaced with symptoms.

I thought my life was declining rapidly at age 60, "Before Sarno" but I'm in way better shape and more active now at 69 than I was then.

And you're 36? LOL! That's your primitive fearful brain screwing with you. Your brain would like you to think you'd be safer if you just gave in to your advancing years and stayed safely at home. You can choose to give in to that, or you can call bullshit and fight back.

Listen to @TG957 and read her book. You'll be astounded at what she overcame, by not giving in, and by being willing to open her mind to the reality of TMS.

TG957 likes this.