1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TM's therapist vs regular therapist

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by DianeRadvanski, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DianeRadvanski

DianeRadvanski New Member

Since I am still awaiting a lot of test results for possible neuropathy and autoimmune disease on top of neuralgia I have started seeing a TMS therapist PRIOR to learning I may have some more serious/complicated conditions. I like her a lot but I have to be TMS all the way and therapy i focused strictly on that.

Then I scheduled an appmt with a clinical psychologist. She believes I need to deal with and heal from all the recent stressors (meaning past 2 years) in addition to reducing the fear and anxiety related to my pain.

With the TMS therapist I like that she is solely focused on exercises and techniques however I also would like to be able to work thru and process the major life stressor's from the past. I think that this may be more helpful now until I get to the point where all my medical tests r done and I have worked on confronting the stressors. Because exercises and techniques r good but maybe not at this time.

Any thoughts - do many people with TMS seek a TMS therapist only or is it also common to seek general therapists while continuing to read TMS books and do the exercises adjunctively?

Thanks!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Diane. I healed from severe back pain without seeing a therapist. If you haven't yet done the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site, I urge you to begin. It helped me discover repressed emotions going back to my boyhood. It encourages journaling to discover repressed emotions that cause pain. Something new that happens in our lives can "trigger" those emotions and bring them to the surface to cause pain.

Total belief in TMS is essential in healing. Exercise and relaxation techniques can help, but TMS belief is the most important.

3. DianeRadvanski

DianeRadvanski New Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and taking the time to respond to this question. I really appreciate it. Things are moving slowly for me. By the end of this month I should know a lot more medically. In the interim I think seeing a therapist is better than not seeing anyone.