1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS? Low libido + back pain + + stuttering + allergic rhinitis HELP!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by dukefan15, Dec 2, 2017.

1. dukefan15

dukefan15 Newcomer

Hello, this is my first post on this website and I pray to God that someone can help me with my condition.

I am a 26 year old male who has been very active and healthy all of my life, I guess I will just start this story when my life turned upside down. I have always been the type of person to try make everyone happy, so it all began when I started working a new job about 3 years ago. My mom suggested that I work at a food production factory closeby to where we lived. As soon as I started I knew that this is not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, but I continued to work there to please her and I was also was lacking confidence in myself to interview for a better job because of my stuttering condition that I have had all of my life. I continued to work at this job for a year as a temporary hire, getting paid very little, even though I was required to be at work at 5 in the morning, working 6 days a week. I worked around a lot of flour and different kinds of powder, because I was working in an area that made dough for cheese and spinach flavored pasta. I was also required to lift a lot of heavy trash cans, up to 100 pounds each. I felt like I was stuck doing this job that I absolutely hated, and my back started really hurting almost constantly

So about a year of working under these conditions, one can imagine the frustration and anger that I was dealing with inside of myself, all while trying to please others and try my best to be friendly and optimistic at work. Then one day while working near the spinach powder, I noticed my nose started running and my eyes getting itchy. I started sneezing nonstop and could not hardly breathe. I forced myself to continue working until the end of my shift, but immediately went to the Ears, Nose, and Throat doctor. They told me that I had allergic rhinitis. They gave me a 80mg shot of depo medrol and another corticosteroid oral medication to take for a few weeks after I left. That was an instant relief for my rhinitis, but whenever I would work around the spinach powder at work, the symptoms would come right back. The crazy thing about this is I used to work around the spinach powder when I first started the job and was completely fine. I have never been able to figure out why I suddenly had those flare ups after a year of being able to work without any allergies to any of the ingredients.

So then, as silly as this may sound, I noticed that my libido had took a very drastic fall a few weeks after visiting the doctor. I read online that corticosteroids, such as depo medrol could cause adrenal fatigue and leave the person with chronic low energy levels and little to no sexual desire. This was so terrifying to me. I was experiences these exact symptoms! Whenever I got off work, I didn't have any motivation to do anything, I would literally get home and lay down, with pain all around my back, and when I inhaled it felt like someone was stabbing my in the back.

I continued to live with low libido, chronic back pain, and allergic rhinitis for the next 2 years and then I got introduced to Dr. Sarno's work on YouTube. I had been going to chiropractors and massage therapists up until this point, and I have completely stopped. I have always thought that whenever I left my current job, everything was going to return back to normal, and the symptoms would go away. Well, coincidentally, I had to call off from work about a month ago and use a vacation day from being in so much pain and I just got let go because apparently my vacation day was not approved. I know most people would be scared and devastated to lose their job like this, but I felt a sense of relief when I walked out of those doors. I know everything happens for a reason and now I hope I can get to the bottom of this and finally live my life the way the way I want to.

I am asking if anyone has any experience with these related symptoms to please help me and guide me in the right direction to full recovery. Thank you so much!

Baseball65 and Tennis Tom like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Isn't freedom exhilarating?
    Latch onto that feeling and fly. It will take you far. Far away from your boxed in old life and self.

I'm 'officially' asthmatic with the usual clutch of allergy-style symptoms...except I'm not. I've not taken asthma meds for almost 30 years and as long as I don't play rough with cats or roll around in fine grain dust I'm fine as day. I'm as sure as sure can be that living in a town makes me sensitive and that country life fosters a natural immunity and stronger sense of self (which bolsters a stronger natural immunity). I lived on a farm for a while so I have tested this hypothesis. Working in a factory is about as far from natural as it gets.

As is living your life on someone else's terms for whatever reason.

It's your life, claim it. That is the cure.

And don't worry about your libido. Nature kicks our jollies into touch sometimes just to ensure we don't saddle ourselves with a kid at an inopportune time. The more you live from the heart, the faster your mojo will return. God's Truth.

The big question is, what does your heart desire?

That's a personal question requiring a private answer. No need to roll it out here but do think about it. Your healing and your future are all nicely bundled in those most daring of dreams.

Plum x

Lainey and Baseball65 like this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome. You have come to the right place young man!

First off before we talk about your symptoms, Ever thought of working in construction? We make decent+ money, it's fun and you're never doing the same thing for very long. Our joke is, right about the time you have a process perfected, it's time to move to the next task. GREAT for guys like me who get bored easily and always need a challenge... And on a construction site No one is gonna care about your speech impediment. They only care about how easy you are to get along with, how helpful you are. I saw you're 26. Here in the mid-south they are begging for healthy good young men!

Ok.. not as important as your health. " I have always been the type of person to try make everyone happy,"

That's it. All of us with TMS and other Psychosomatic disorders have this one trait and BIG! I 'got well' reading Sarno's "Healing Back Pain". The section on psychology is really great at illuminating all of the painful contradictions in our subconscious that this personality type generates, thus necessitating a symptom. I can absorb from your whole narrative that you are one of us. You are lucky to have 'caught it' so young.

Generally when one symptom isn't sufficient to keep us distracted from the truth (I hate working here... My back hurts... I feel trapped.... I hate working here.... my back hurts,etc,etc) TMS will up the ante. The spinach powder allergy is just plain old Conditioning. Your autonomic was gonna add to the distraction no matter what...the spinach powder was just there and convenient. It could have been talcum powder, fish powder or powdered joint compound. You 'needed' a symptom so it chose the most convenient thing. I have been re-reading a lot about conditioning and it only takes a COUPLE of times (like as in 2) for us to make a connection and turn a mental image into a physical reality. That is also discussed in Healing Back Pain.

I do a lot of drywall and plaster. I also used to get a lot of ear/Eustachian tube infections (like every year..sometimes twice). I blamed the drywall dust. Everytime I sanded drywall and didn't cover my ears, I got the infection and pain running down my throat. At some point I realized "I just hate fucking sanding drywall... it sticks to me and makes me look and feel like shit". Now, when I am sanding drywall, I stay focused on how much I don't like it and how that is at odds with my Perfectionistic tendency to always want to sand my own work so it is 'perfect'... I won't even let other people sand my work. What a strange, selfish, narcissistic, chain of damnation?

I have been a student of this for nigh on 20 years now. I have noticed that all of my friends , family and co-workers who develop symptoms, always do as such when they are under stress, strain, deadlines or are in situations where the truth is unacceptable. We do NOT have to run away from every responsibility and uncomfortable situation to get free of symptoms. We just have to increase our awareness. From reading your post you are already well on your way....Keep going and you'll be aces! Oh yeah, don't forget about construction work.... great place to thrive without the world on your shoulder. Peace

BB65

georgethee likes this.