1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS FEAR= I am never safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Branson, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Branson

Branson Peer Supporter

Musing here, after reading Alan Gordon's post on fear.
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/fear-thoughts.11426/

Some voice, aspect is saying "You/I am never safe" in severe tms. To get rid of tms you gotta not fear the symptoms, get on with living. Thats what I hear is tms treatment in summation.

HOW do you reverse the lifelong condition of not feeling safe in the world. It does seem to be an existential angst but to the extreme. The mindbody creates these tms symptoms, Oh Oh best to stay right here, hunker down. Dont look out there---SCARY! Look right here, stay right here. Ive dubbed this SmotherMother.

What is the antidote? To keep looking out THERE. To create action toward "out there" and continually in mind and body and vision to keep the focus and momentum to the great "out there"?

Am I on to something useful here?

kevinmichael likes this.
  2. blake

blake Well known member

Hi Branson!

I know what you mean about not feeling safe in the world. I grew up in a violent home, which I thought I had dealt with, but when I had my son (he's 13 now), it triggered in me a level of existential anxiety I had never known before.

You are definitely on to something when you talk about getting out there. Making plans and working toward goals and doing projects I enjoy are ways I use to tone down my anxiety. It gives me something positive to focus on, rather than just thinking about my pain and my worries. Exercising really helps me too. But I've learned to do this very gently... one tiny little step at a time is what works best for me.

I've also accepted that I will feel this way sometimes. That really works well for me because it takes off the pressure of always having to fix things.

kevinmichael and Hen like this.
  3. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

@Branson I think the antidote is take a deep breath and allow yourself to stay in the moment. Breathe...Have you tried any form of meditation to help quiet your mind? Is the image your cat? I have a cat too and she teaches me to relax and mellow. Sometimes she runs crazy but always gets back to mellow. I try to take lessons.

BTW I love smother mother!!! Your mind is very busy and quite creative!

Warmly, Susan

BloodMoon and kevinmichael like this.
  4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I can totally relate Branson about the' not feeling safe' concept. It seems to be getting worse for me. For example I am in Panama on holidays right now and instead of having a great time I am fearing the Zika virus. There are very few cases in Panama but, yes, I have to worry about it. Nuts!

kevinmichael likes this.
  5. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

TGirl I understand fear and it would probably enter my mind too. Try changinging your thinking..you say 'you have to worry' actually not!! you 'choose to worry'.
    Choose to enjoy yourself!!

kevinmichael and tgirl like this.