1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tms doctor appt tmrw

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Benny562562, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Benny562562

Benny562562 Peer Supporter

I was concerned since the chiropractor I was seeing put in my head that the nerve was getting trapped in the foramen. The report says formainal stenosis so that's why I'm concerned. I'll wait on dr S to contact me

2. Benny562562

Kalo,what's Georgie's website? I can't find it

3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

It's
    www geoergieoldfield. Com

4. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Hi Benny,

I just got home!!! Two things you mite want to do...Email Dr. Howard Schubiner your MRI, and talk to Georgie she is wonderful.....Here is Goergie's website http://www.sirpauk.com/

there was a lady on Georgie's website who had a huge disc protusion and it showed that TWO NERVE on both legs were being pinched...Though she only had pain in one leg...

Benny, you will be fine! I am sending you positive energy!

Kalo

5. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Hey Benny. I just posted a reply to you earlier. These folks are right. As I said these results would scare the ---- out of us if we didn't know that these findings are "normal abnormalities" to quote Dr. Sarno. On dr Hanscoms site he mentions a gal whose X-rays and MRI were the worst he'd ever seen. Yet she
    Healed and went back to running and sports. She had no pain.
    Dr Sarno says the site of the pain is MUSCLE in TMS. That explains why it hurts all over the place! You have to trust Dr Schechter and let the MRI go!

6. Benny562562

Mtngal he sent me this just now. I don't understand. I thought disc bulges don't cause problems like dr John sarno says. Then why would he have to see imaging? Here's his email he just sent me

Attached Files:

7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Mtngal and Kalo. No one's body is 100% perfect, but we can live perfectly normal lives with all kinds of weaknesses and wear and tear.

The thing is, our brains know exactly where those weaknesses are, and they choose those spots, create pain, and magnify it to keep us alert and on edge and looking for danger (the sabre-tooth tiger waiting that's waiting behind that rock!)

This is because our primitive brains are still wired to constantly be scanning the horizon for danger. Neuroscientists know this is true. It's a survival mechanism that has not caught up with the modern world. Back in primitive times, we were totally distracted by day-to-day survival, and our brains didn't need to do a whole lot to keep us from wallowing in our emotions. We also didn't live very long! Now we live much safer lives, we have plenty to eat, and we live a long time. In the safety of today's world (for most of us, who are fortunate enough to have plenty of food and safe shelter) our brains have to use pain to distract us and keep us alert to danger that doesn't actually exist anymore.

I don't imagine for a second that any those poor refugees have TMS symptoms right now, because they are struggling with real survival issues, and they have to find the strength to keep going just to reach safety and freedom. The symptoms of trauma may come later, but that's a different story.

Benny562562 likes this.
  8. Benny562562

Jan I just posted on the other forum. Dr Schecter replied to me. What do u think? I'm confused. I thought disc bulges don't produce pain?

9. Mala

Mala Well known member

@Benny562562 .

None of us here are doctors tms or otherwise so asking ppl here for medical interpretations can be dangerous. We r just not qualified.

Yr aim was to get diagnosed by a TMS doctor. Dr. Schecter has yr results but needs to see the images for himself which is a fair one. After that I am sure he will evaluate yr situation & give u the best advice possible. You should address all yr questions & concerns to him.

If after that u still have some doubts or wish to get a second opinion then of course go ahead & do that too. There are other TMS doctors . Dr. schubiner for example has always been kind enuff to answer my queries & give me advice since I live so far away. I emailed him my reports & images & he answered within a few days. Or maybe u have someone else in mind.

Mala

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    JanAtheCPA and Benny562562 like this.
  10. Benny562562

Mala your right. Was just wondering why he said it might be structural do to a disc bulge. I thought all along disc bulges dont cause back pain. Ill wait for his reply

11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Benny, the pain is real, but what you don't yet understand is that ALL pain is created by your brain. This is a physiological fact. The body part that has the pain is not capable of producing pain. The nerves at the body part send a signal to the brain, and it is the brain which processes that signal and decides whether or not to send back pain.

When I crashed my bike in 2008 and broke my hip, the nerves at the break had to send a danger signal to my brain, my brain had to process it, and then send an urgent pain message back to the site of the broken bone. The pain message told me that it would be very bad for me to move, which was a good thing. The next morning, I had surgery to insert three pins into my femur.

That was a legitimate and important pain message.

However, four years later, my femur is perfectly fine, but farther down on my thigh where they cut through a bunch of muscles to insert the pins, it still hurts. Why? Right after the surgery, when the muscle tissues needed to repair themselves, it was a good thing to have pain, because it reminded me to be careful of the giant slice right through my thigh. But four years later??? I KNOW that those muscle tissues are totally healed. So why do I have pain? What's the point? Where's the danger?

Answer: there IS NO DANGER. I can go to the gym and do squats and lunges all day long, without any danger or injury whatsoever.

The pain is there to try to distract me, because my brain remembers the pain from the surgery. This is what we are talking about when we talk about conditioning. But I know there's no danger from this pain, so I ignore it, and I go to the gym and I do my squats and lunges, and I visualize those muscles being stronger than ever, even if they are hurting while I work out.

You have to ask yourself the same question: Is your pain a signal that you are in actual danger or is it your brain trying to distract you with old memorized pain conditioning?

I can't answer that question because I know nothing about disc bulges although someone, four years ago (I can't remember who, probably my chiropractor) thought I might have a slight disc bulge because I had lower back pain before I discovered Dr. Sarno. But the back pain was nothing compared to my neuro and stomach issues, chronic neck pain, and bad headaches, so I don't remember spending much time worrying about my supposed disc bulge. And I've never had an MRI.

Benny562562 likes this.
  12. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Dr Sarno says in his book that a herniated disc may be responsible for some pain initially but not for continuing pain. It seems to me that dr Schecter is sitting on both sides of the fence here. However It's encouraging that he found your physical exam normal. So you would think if you had this serious huge disc bulge compressing your nerve your exam would show neurological deficits or something. Even if it had Dr Sarno says these signs are common with TMS because it can affect nerves too. If I were you I would make an appointment with Dr Schechter after he's actually seen the images himself and talk this over with him. This email stuff doesn't cut it in my opinion.
    Here's a thought: do you think all this pathology all of a sudden turned up in April? I bet if you'd had an MRI before then when you had no pain it would've shown the same changes.
    I've started to journal every day writing down my negative thoughts and any anger issues I'm feeling. If anger is the culprit per Dr Sarno then maybe this could help you get your mind off the physical and into thinking psychologically. The mind can create severe pain. Never doubt it. But your mind is also the key to getting rid of it !
    Keep us posted.

Benny562562 likes this.
  13. Benny562562

He called me on the phone Mtngal,but said once he gets image, that I can go speak with him in person. I find it hard to believe that working for 1 week as a truck driver caused all this pathology. He did do a physical exam and the reason I think he wants to see the Mri is because I had a little loss of sensation in my foot when he examined it,but Tms also causes that too huh

14. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Unless the truck fell on you I agree. Dr. Sarno says you can't hurt yourself sitting in a chair, that would include sitting in a truck seat. Dr. Schechter probably needs to see the MRI to make sure there is nothing seriously structurally going on so you can't come back later and sue him for malpractice--this is the age of defensive medicine. Most bulging discs are what Dr. Sarno calls "gray hair of the spine", normal anomalies that rarely cause true structural pain, but are blamed for it by doctors who don't understand TMS . Hopefully, after reviewing your imaging, he will give you a TMS DX.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Benny562562 likes this.
  15. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Excellent posts from Tennis Tom, Mala and Jan. Jan makes a good point in that she pretty much ignores the pain and does her gym stuff. She knows it's not dangerous and won't cause more damage. This can be one of the hardest things to do esp. If the pain is severe. Once dr s gives you the go ahead could you maybe start swimming or biking or whatever gradually? One of SteveOs strategies was to exercise and snub his nose at the pain. The brain thinks. "Hmmmm" if Steve can play golf (run, whatever) my distraction is not working-and his back can't be that bad. My cover is blown".

Tennis Tom and Benny562562 like this.
  16. Benny562562

Good info and advice. He actually didn't initially order the mri,it was when I asked him that I wanted to be 100%sure I had Tms that he ordered it. Thank u everyone :)