1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS and Pelvic Floor Pain; is the mind playing tricks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Rjrain, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Rjrain

Rjrain New Member

Hello,

Last time I wrote here I got amazing advice so thought I’d give it another spin. I have been on the TMS journey just under a month, compared to the 5 years I’ve had pelvic pain related symptoms, this is nothing of course but have seen vast improvements. One of two things which remain is tightness and the feel of a pulsing within my pelvic region. This is like a heartbeat. Has anyone heard of the sorts? I can’t actually differentiate between it being my normal heartbeat and my mind playing tricks to distract me!

thanks all

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

You bet it distracts you! That’s its purpose. what emotions or feelings do these sensations bring up? Can you feel those in your body? Can you experience emotions?
    That is what those sensations are trying to keep you from doing. They attempt to keep you fearful so that you don’t feel and experience emotions and joy.
    Your job is to let your brain know your body is fine and safe. There are a variety of things you can try: somatic tracking -paying attention to this sensation while noticing how safe you are in the moment. Meditation -keeping your mind on the breath, the emotions and the present and returning to it when you find yourself having distracting thoughts, internal dialog - reminding yourself you are fine and then continuing on with whatever you were doing. It takes time and practice. You are breaking long time though habits.

I also find moments of daily gratitude helpful. This trains the mind to focus on more positive things without it being forced or fake.

Good Luck!

Bonnard likes this.
  3. Rjrain

Rjrain New Member

Thanks so much for the insight. They make me feel scared, reminders of the past and the initial ‘injury’ (now of which I know was cured long ago). Do I sit with this emotion, focus solely on the pain till it subsides (like it did earlier) or both?

Many revelations have occurred recently. It amazes me that the mind thinks this is a rational thing to do!

Thanks again and hope you’re doing well.

4. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Hi there @Rjrain

I've got a few observations.

I absolutely love this phrase in your subject line: "is the mind playing tricks?"
    I've adopted the practice (learned here at the forum) of talking to my brain, letting this mischievous fellow know that, "Yes I am in great physical shape and don't need any distractions, thank you very much." Sometimes I even yell back at my brain when symptoms show up. I'm going to add this line, asking my brain "Not to play tricks on me!"

I think finding a way to safely experience (fully experience!) being scared is really important. The brain is distracting from the difficult-to-deal-with emotions.

I think experiencing the emotion(s) and training your brain that you are ok is key here. Focusing solely on the pain seems like it wouldn't be helpful. Alan Gordon's excellent program that's available on this site (free -- and self-directed, no registration, etc. required) has a lot on how these patterns get linked in our brains (neural pathways) and how to break away from the pain.

5. Cactusflower

Scared is a feeling, not an emotion. Sometimes those of us with TMS actually have to learn to experience emotions - it’s the pain, symptoms “scared” etc. that are hiding them. You have the symptoms because your mind isn’t allowing you to feel emotions. Feeling is more surface, it is easier. Here’s an example: you hurt my feelings.. what feelings? How does what that person did make you feel? Angry? Sad? Guilty? Those are emotions like joy is.
    So, looking deeper than your feelings of being scared.. what are you feeling? Annoyed -angry they stick around? Fear (often worry or rumination is present with fear). My thought is that your emotion is fear - because you are worrying and hyper focused on this feeling in your abdomen and your heart beating. Next question: why does it matter that you feel your heart beating? You know you are alive. If you are alive it is beating.
    So besides feeling emotions (briefly, they pass in moments - notice how they feel in the body with a lightness, a curiosity, don’t get caught up in them), the self-talk: the messages this fear is sending need to become reality based.. this is why Dr. Sarno (read a book of his if you have not) says the symptoms are benign. They are symptoms or sensations and nothing more. If your Doctors have ruled out they are not structural, then you work on sending that message to your brain, just as Bonnard has suggested. They key is that none of this is done with a real intensity.. gently send these messages to your brain. No need to over focus or worry. Just when you notice an opportunity a few times a day think ask yourself “what emotion am I feeling” or “I’m perfectly fine in this moment”.

Bonnard likes this.
  6. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Thank you @Cactusflower. These two points below are so important and great for me to read and process. I'm one of those people who had a very hard time feeling the feelings, and that superficial avoidance of feelings can stick around today.
    I'm also someone who can over-focus on solutions, worry, and try to make sure I'm 'getting TMS results'.

7. Rjrain

Rjrain New Member

You are right @Cactusflower I suppose I'm just struggling to interpret the underlying fear this whole process has brought me. I was only 17 when it started and I'm now 23, granted it has got majorly better! No pain anymore but tension exists and other 'symptoms' come with said tension. Not to go overly personal, but I think the pelvis involving the private areas makes it much more intimidating mentally o_O.

In regards to the heartbeat, this is a form of worry my brain has also latched on too. I always thought the heartbeat was pulsing within my pelvic floor and this made me tense so now I've embedded this pattern into my brain. Only the other day have I realised the two are just separate.
    All of this is a learning curve.

Also @Bonnard I understand where you're coming from and yes, the mind can truly play tricks!

8. Cactusflower

@Rjrain
    There is a large blood vessel that runs into your abdomen. It’s normal and some people feel a stronger pulse there. Normal! In QiGong this spot is considered a place of life force. What a wonderful way to reframe this spot -you are alive! Again, with a fun curiosity (not a serious concern) can you think of other ways to make this a positive sensation. Tension in the abdomen is a normal fear sensation, also a reaction to anxiety. It is only an indicator of your emotions. Instead of focusing on that sensation when you are fearful, try to see what other sensations arise: perhaps your heart pounds in your chest, your palms sweat, you get hot or cold. You simply need to train your brain to stop hyper focusing. This is Alan Gordon’s sun Reprocessing program at its most basic.

9. Laura Haraka

Laura Haraka New Member

It is interesting you describe it as a heart beat? Just curious if this spot is looking for some loving kindness?