1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS and anxiety over disability tribunal

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I have a tribunal in a few weeks time for PIP (for non UK readers it's a benefit for people with disability called Personal Independence Payment). I was refused the benefit when I claimed for it and now I have appealed and it's going to tribunal.

The thought of this tribunal is sending me into further anxiety and panic and I have been getting a lot of migraine headaches, occasional leg pain, dizziness, muscle tension and feeling sick.

I have been coping not too bad by using techniques from Dr Claire Weekes and Dr Sarno but since finding out the date of the hearing for my appeal at a tribunal my anxiety and TMS has got worse. I'm trying those techniques to decrease my anxiety and symptoms but it isn't working. I would appreciate some help here.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I feel for you. I know the horrors of the benefit system all too well. One thing that may help reduce your stress levels is to gain more knowledge from a good online source of support. Have a look at this website which provides information on matters such as the atrocious PIP tribunals. Forewarned is forearmed. Maybe someone from Welfare Rights (at your local council) can help too.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk (Home)

In terms of easing your symptoms, do you have a garden or balcony, somewhere you can enjoy being outside? Too much time indoors and in our head is never conducive to being peaceful and balanced. Rest, read novels, cloudwatch...be gentle, mindful and nurture self-compassion. These tribunals are trying but many people are winning their appeals so take heart.

3. Artmuzz

Thanks for the reply and sound advice. I have a Welfare Rights Officer coming to the tribunal with me. I have been trying to go out for walks to clear my mind but I get light headed and dizzy when I'm out walking.

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad to hear you have someone accompanying you. It does help to have support. A couple of years ago I had to attend Court to testify against a man who had sexually assaulted me and I was supported throughout by Witness Protection. Simply having a person there, a physical and kind presence helped. I clearly remember my mounting fear and anxiety as the date drew near. The one thing, the one thought that really helped me through was my resolve to be authentic, to tell my truth. This mattered because I found myself beleaguered by awful thoughts of what might happen in court. I had been warned to expect savage cross-examination.

On the day I was scared and this ratcheted up to being petrified when the time came for me to take the stand. I stayed focused and calm. I took moments to breathe and gather my thoughts when I needed to. I didn't let the Defence rush or cow me. I did my best to maintain control over my mind as my physiology went out to lunch. And then it was over and the relief was immediate. I am aware that this experience is not entirely comparable to yours but I feel there are commonalities to draw upon. Namely being true to yourself and allowing your body to feel and process such intense sensations and emotions in the moment. The wisdom of Claire Weekes does help.

I like to sit outside. I like to sit and listen to birdsong and life passing by. It gifts you with a sense of perspective and that is soothing.

We are stronger than we realise. Remember that.

HattieNC likes this.
  5. Artmuzz

Sorry to hear what happened to you. It must of been awful but it's good that you used the works of Claire Weekes to get better and you are able to cope.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018