1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS advice please

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Briarwood, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Briarwood

Briarwood Newcomer

Hi there
    I am new to this site and have just posted a message but realise I put it on the general discussion site by mistake instead of here!
    I was a fit and very active lady up until 4 years ago when I was told I needed a knee replacement after many years of running long distances. I had the surgery which was painful never got right, then had to have it all redone a year later which was very painful and a slow recovery. It still never got right and today I still struggle with the constant pain when I try to walk. I have done all the exercises and tried many alternative therapies with limited success. Pakillers no longer work so i have stopped taking them. I was drinking too much wine to dull the pain and have since stopped this too as I realised that this wasn’t the answer!
    I have been told by the medics that nothing more can be done and that I will just have to hope it improves in time. The last surgery was nearly 2 years ago, and I haven’t had a day without pain since I started this journey.. I feel frustrated at not being able to enjoy the lovely coastal walks near where I live ( I recently retired). I was reading about TMS and have just ordered Dr Sarnos book about back pain which arrives tomorrow. I’m assuming it’s not just about back pain but the principles are the same for any pain? I am interested in the idea of TMS which I have been reading about online, as interestingly, during the last 4 years , along side my surgeries, I have been through a lot of emotional stress, ( divorce, death of both my parents) , so am now wondering if there is a link, and if this is why I continue to have this chronic pain.
    I would be grateful for any advice on the subject as it is all new to me.? Is there anything practical I can do other than read the book? I live in the UK . Thanking you in anticipation !

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

Absolutely! Have you read any of Steve Ozanich’s books? If not, get one and start reading that along with Dr. Sarno’s book. You have repressed feelings, most likely due to your divorce and parents dying, as well as rage you are subconciously holding in. As Dr. Sarno says, all tissue, bone, muscles - pretty much every injury heals within 6 weeks. The femur takes about 10 weeks, so to have chronic pain after two surgeries is not normal. Check out the SEP and Pain Recovery Program on here, which are great tools to get started on healing.

I have had chronic pain for nearly 21 years and about half of my symptoms are gone, with a few pesky ones sticking around, which I will work on with my therapist. Check out the success stories On here and on YouTube, go on to the TMS Wall of Victory for inspiring and hopeful stories about healing. This should help get you started, and if you every have questions or concerns, we are here to help you!

Take care and know you are OK.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. KevinMartilloViner

KevinMartilloViner Peer Supporter

I hear you, I've been there. Have a listen to this Podcast, I think it could help. Good luck!

https://audioboom.com/posts/7173184-057-kevin-martillo-viner-phd?fbclid=IwAR3rNp4jPCIHqRjPfRXEK1ekHSGJHmHPcu6pJUEPAEq6-f8m1dXoCOKk_ng (Audioboom / 057 - Kevin Martillo Viner, PhD)

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Briarwood.
    If you took the time to order the book it must mean something in the blurb resonated in it with you OR your frustrated enough OR BOTH.

Lack of finding resolution to a long term pain issue is what got most of us here. Your story sounds like a lot of our stories. The most important part is that when you begin reading (which book BTW?) that you make that connection between your experience and the 'person' that Sarno is describing. Our symptoms have a 'purpose' but they vary amongst us... usually choosing something that is most distracting. They are that way for a reason

That recent retirement, Divorce and death in your immediate family might have a lot more to do with something than you could possibly imagine. I don't imagine you planned on retiring alone?

Anyways...when that book gets there , get immersed in the text... Get out a hi-liter pen and an empty notebook. You might find a flood of 'aha' moments come barreling in. Check back with us after you have read a piece.
    You can and will get well

Aaricia and Jules like this.
  5. Briarwood

Briarwood Newcomer

Many thanks for your replies.
    I am still curious to know whether TMS can be the cause of long term pain if surgery has happened, or could it just be the trauma and damage of the surgery? I have just read Dr Sarnos Healing Back pain and the Mind, body prescription which I can relate to , and most of the case studies are people where pain occcurs naturally and not after surgery. Any advice on this would be welcome?