1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMJ/UNEVEN BITE/PELVIC TILT

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by yogigirl, Feb 21, 2019.

1. yogigirl

yogigirl New Member

I went to a chiropractor last year who told me my jaw pain/neck pain/tension headaches came from my uneven hips (leg length difference). This would be a result of an uneven bite, because i lost my wisdom teeth and another posterior tooth.
    I got some manipulations every 2 weeks + a mouthguard i needed to wear night and day for 3 months, it didn't help. On the bite they could see that i grinded my teeth.
    Has anyone heard of this theory or experienced it themselves??
    Can it be a cause of my chronic pain or is it still TMS?
    I read a lot of successs stories of people who've been told they had an uneven leg lengths, so i'm calm about that, but now i'm obsessing about my teeth!

Can anyone help??

Thanks! :)

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, yogigirl, if you're grinding your teeth, that's going to have an effect on your teeth, and on your jaw - that's just common sense. Remember, we haven't progressed much beyond our primitive roots, and our teeth weren't really designed to last much beyond 30 years, so we have to take care of them if we want them to last longer than that. And we certainly can't expect our jaws to take decades of clenching.

Teeth grinding is a stress-related anxiety activity. As a jaw-clencher myself, I don't have any problem saying that it's a form of OCD, and OCD activities are addictions.

I know how hard it is to stop clenching - my brain does not want me to let go! Back when I discovered Dr. Sarno in 2011, I did train myself to stop involving my teeth, so at least I haven't had to wear my night guard since then.

In any case, you have got to get mindful and you have got to stop doing this to yourself. Then see what happens if you can accomplish that.

And look, I'm not any kind of trained health professional - I'm a tax accountant. But based on my personal TMS experience, I have to think that a chiro who claims that your head and jaw problems are due to uneven hips is engaging in magical thinking. Or, putting it another way: it's a load of crap.

~Jan

Lavender likes this.
  3. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi yogigirl,

I think the ‘theory’ of the uneven legs is nonsense. I’ve strugled with the theory for long : cause i believed some chiro too.
    Gladly found out it was nonsense.
    Gave me a wheel lift which made things worse
    Check the website painsience. com
    There is plenty proof its not the problem
    The grinding teeth : that could cause your head pains for sure!
    But not because you are uneven: because you grind yout teeth because you feel tension. Now you worry so more grinding.. do you see?
    Maybe better ask your dentist instead of the chiro about your teeth
    If they are ok: start thinking psychological.. why you are stressed

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Acjax

Acjax New Member

Hi Yogigirl,
    I've personally spent thousand of pounds with various chiropractors and they have all said different things, and never gave a straight answer. They seemed to say whatever they said in a convincing enough way to keep me returning until I came across Dr Sarno's book.
    At this moment in time I'm struggling too but I KNOW That I'm on the right course.

JanAtheCPA likes this.