1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tips on relapse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by FindingJoy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. FindingJoy

FindingJoy New Member

I found Dr. Sarno's book and this forum in July. I went through Alan's new program and had amazing results. I have several different types of pain but had almost a complete recovery from my most persistent issue. This lasted for weeks. I've still been experiencing anxiety but overall I was feeling very positive.

In the last week that's all gone out the window and my pain has returned. I've been worrying about work and I know that's a huge trigger for me. My rational brain knows this is TMS but my lizard brain didn't get the memo.

Is it common to experience relapse? Can anyone share their experience or tips on how they got past it? Should I go through the program again? I'm starting to feel a little crazy.

Ines likes this.
  2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Joy,

No need to go crazy.

You have had some success and I hope that gives you more confidence that you can conquer TMS in all its manifestations.

Your relapse could be from tension and some from conditioned response. Keep in mind that this is the human condition. Dr. Sarno himself mentions many cases of experimenting TMS and it's various manifestation.

When I was recovering from back and neck pain, sciatica in both legs, pain and numbness in my arms and hands, and more, other symptoms started to show up, like insomnia and headaches. But that's all part of the process.

I kept fighting them as I was working through issues with my wife and my parents. Once the issues that caused my anger and rage, as well as my perception of them (lots of internal work), symptoms became extremely rare.

So instead of letting TMS get you down, keep fighting it with determination and each time you win you get stronger.

You may also want to download the Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain podcast at this thread for additional strategies.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/free-podcast-rapid-recovery-from-back-and-neck-pain.16972/ (Free Podcast: Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain)

Ines likes this.
  3. Jules

Jules Well known member

I am actually going through the same thing. Of course, this has been going on for the last five years, off and on, but for the last six months or so, I have been doing very well, in fact, I was able to get a full-time job writing, which was a lot of where my pain originated from, like my wrist, ribs, shoulders, etc. Lately, some of the old pains have returned and even some that hadn't occurred for years started to creep up. I have been very adamant with telling my brain that this is TMS and that it does not need to distract me; it's overreacting. I know this is partly my stress response, and it is hyperactive and I am hypervigilant. I am trying my hardest to tell my brain that I am not afraid of the pain, even though it is harder than it looks. We will get through this, because we have done it before.

Do not give up or give in. Just tell your brain this is just a little setback and to please get back on track again, thankyouverymuch.

Ftaghn! and FredAmir like this.