1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for maintaining outcome independence?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by KittenLePurr, Jul 21, 2020.

1. KittenLePurr

KittenLePurr New Member

Hey y’all. I thought I had completely stopped engaging with my pain, like Alan Gordon and Dr. Schubinar recommend. And the intensity has improved! I haven’t had a sharp spasm TMJ attack in months, and my carpal tunnel has all but disappeared. And, the other day, I was in bed winding down and I suddenly realized I was mindlessly squirming around again, trying to find just the right angle at which to lean back on my stack of pillows that would make my neck stop screaming. When I realized it, I took a deep breath, pressed an acupressure point (I’m about halfway through Unlearn Your Pain...great techniques to retrain the brain in there) and reminded myself it’s just a sensation and I’ll make a full recovery. A minute later, the pain had decreased by like 75%!!!! Victory!! But, the next day, it came back. And I couldn’t help but be disappointed. And frustrated when I developed another pain in my groin. I know it’s not uncommon for pain to move around...but, you know. I just got too excited.

Any tips for maintaining outcome independence? And does anyone else here have trouble not worrying about the fact that they’re letting things affect them, and then worrying about the fact that they’re worrying??! Looking for more reassurance I’m not alone in my extensive and incredibly interwoven TMS symptoms, I guess. Thanks for reading ❤️

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You are absolutely not alone. It is a paradox everyone faces. To heal, you need to commit to recovery. But to recover, you need to develop outcome independence and be cool about pain not going away within the time frame you set for yourself. The best tool, in my opinion, is meditation. It clears your mind, calms your nerves and makes your mind more steady. As for interwoven TMS symptoms, throughout recovery I had symptoms everywhere, except for my back, and many of them were bizarre. I was able to beat all of them. You absolutely can do it!

Sita and KittenLePurr like this.
  3. KittenLePurr

KittenLePurr New Member

Thank you so much:happy: I do think I need to add more meditation to my routine. Doing it in the morning is great but I tend to forget to be mindful throughout the rest of the day, especially with so much going on in the world right now.
    So you’ve cured your pain? I keep meaning to read through the success stories so I’m sure I’ll find answers there but what types of bizarre symptoms? I’ve gotten some weird groin and belly pains and intense dizziness. That one was hard not to get thrown off by

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You should read success stories - just about any bizarre symptoms and causes can be found there. Daily methodical reading of success stories was part of my routine - it truly helps to fight fear and teaches you A LOT about how to succeed.

KittenLePurr and Sita like this.
  5. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi!

Tips:
    - Stop watching the news, at least stop it for 3 days.
    - Do some form of stretching daily, 10 min (at least). Would be nice to do it outside in nature/on your balcony, but it's OK inside too in front of an open window.
    - Work on your hobbies daily for 30 min (at least). Anything that you can do in silence, preferably not on social media/computer. Playing an instrument is OK of course.
    - Eat in silence, read in silence, stretch in silence etc. Concentrate on eating, be mindful while eating, how is the food, the smell, the aroma? Take your time. The same for reading, use your imagination, read slowly. While stretching, concentrate on breathing in and out. Do the movements slowly. No distractions, no noise, no thinking about your body/pain.

Take care!

KittenLePurr and TG957 like this.
  6. KittenLePurr

KittenLePurr New Member

Thank y’all so much. I’m following your advice starting today!:woot: