1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Time to make a change

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Kiri, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Kiri

Kiri Newcomer

The story of my back pain started January 2014 when an evil kettle-bell (or so i thought) changed my back forever. Long story short, what started with a sore back after the gym turned into a herniated disc, months of agony, months of physio, lots and lots of drugs, extremely painful injections that had no benefit and ultimately, surgery. I was 31years old and having back surgery - this was not how i thought my life would be. But the ultimate act still did not ease the pain but this time i felt it was my fault, my surgeon had no interest now that he'd done his end of the deal and my friends and family and me couldn't understand why i was still in pain, i was despairing. Thankfully, my physio gave me a six month time frame
    before I would apparently be fully healed after the surgery and mercifully i met a man in a pub in the fifth month who told me about Dr. Sarno and my pain stopped. So why am i here, on day 1. Well, because my TMS story goes back further.

On reading Dr.Sarno's Healing Back Pain, the character of the typical TMS sufferer completely resonated with me and I realised that my back pain was from TMS but i think also a lot of other things.

I've always been an extremely conscientious and worried, even as a small child and i've always had bad health but with for no real reason. When i was a kid i had excruciating growing pains - to the extent that my doctor took blood tests but could find no cause. Then i developed ongoing headaches (as a 12year old), more blood tests - again, nothing wrong. Then I developed significant stomach problems, i had very bad reflux caused by over acid production - i had every test going (some even twice) and still no cause. i was on daily acid suppressants. This was intermingled with chronic urinary tract infections to the point that i had to a take a low dose antibiotic every day for three years. But these all stopped that day in the gym with the kettlebell, 2014 was the healthiest year that i've probably ever had but for the chronic back pain. So then i read Dr.Sarno's book last February and my back pain stops, but everything else begins again! I feel i'm chasing pain and ailments around my body. Dr. Sarno refers to growing pains, stomach acid production and urinary issues being common amongst TMS sufferers and I do feel that they all are a result of TMS, the timing seems too coincidental for them not to be. I seemed to able able to overcome the back pain after reading Dr.Sarno's book but i am finding it much more difficult to get over all these other recurring and interesting varieties of pain/ailments that i am getting following the abatement of my back pain. So that is why i am here, on day 1.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Kiri. Your name means you're a woman, right? Not that it matters. Your post could apply to anyone. It looks to me like your symptoms are definitely from TMS... repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist and goodist personality. And they apparently go back to your childhood. You did yourself a big favor by starting the SEP. It will help you to discover the emotional causes of your pain. It may not happen immediately. We wish it would, but actually, few people heal that fast from TMS. And it may be a good thing, because when we think more about TMS the more we discover about ourselves and that helps not only us but those we live or work with. We develop a much better understanding about people and ourselves. So be patient and positive.

While in the SEP, remember to practice deep breathing (inhale through the nose to the count of 4, hold for 4, and exhale through the mouth for 4.

And watch the TMS videos in the subforums here and on Youtube. They, and the success subforum posts, are very inspirational.

Keep posting. We're all here to help.

3. Kiri

Kiri Newcomer

Thanks Walt, I really appreciate the reply and yes, I am a woman!