1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

This is my first post.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tamanter, May 20, 2014.

1. tamanter

tamanter New Member

Hi everybody,
    This is my first post since I discovered this forum. I am Italian, and live in DC area.
    Let me introduce to the community.
    I am still in back pain since novembre 2013. In the past I Had period of my Life in pain, until I read dr Sarno's book. I was free for 2 years, but know, new job, new Country, new boss and the pain is come back. But...I feel as I not able to heal with the same therapy. I am trying in all the way...still nothing...
    I hope to feel better with your help, in the meantime I am studying the program to healing.
    Antonio

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Ciao Tamanter,

Welcome to the Forum and to the US!

Sometimes when TMS comes back after healing it the first time, it takes longer to heal the second time. But don't be discouraged! You healed yourself once and you can do it again. You have lots of new stress right now, so be kind to yourself and patiently do the structured program. Read more TMS books. Learn mindfulness meditation. You will heal again. You may need to go a little deeper this time in terms of identifying and addressing your repressed emotions.

Feel free to ask questions at any time and keep us posted on how you are doing. Best wishes to you.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tamantar. Ellen is right, you're in a new country, new job, new boss. All that can be stressrful,
    until you adjust to it all. Take your time, don't expect adjustment to happen overnight.
    Her suggestions are excellent, to do the structured program and read new books about TMS.
    Mindfulness meditation is living in the present moment, which may not be easy, but can be
    achieved with practice. Here is more about mindfulness, from the new book I wrote with
    Herbie called God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain: Herbie wrote the following:

Mindfulness and Mindfulness Meditation

Mindfulness and mindfulness meditation are new powers of the mind techniques that are great aids in TMS healing.

Mindfulness is taking a negative memory -- think about it as hard as you ever have -- look at it for what it is. Then imagine the best time in your life and see what you saw and hear what you heard and feel what you felt. Then say “I release,” and let go.

Now think again of a great time you had in your life -- like relaxing on a beach, for instance -- and really feel it. Think on this calming thought for 30 seconds. Can you remember the negative thought? I didn’t think so. But if you do, then go ahead and use advanced reframing like taking the tranquil beach picture in your mind and feeling it in your body. Blow it up, make it bigger, then say “I release” and let go. By that simple affirmation we’re telling our brains what to do, and it works.

Here is something I wrote to myself after thinking in mindfulness:

I just experienced euphoria while experiencing a complete Mindbody-Spirit felt sense. I was 100 percent in awareness, acceptance, meditation, optimism, affirmations, and visualizations.

I came to a place of healing where I felt like energy healing was being sent to my body, and it felt awesome!

Now, I want to say that I had this feeling right while I was working out and then when I walked in my home and watched T.V. This total healing feeling was just going through my whole body. It was like liquid love. Liquid healing was just flowing through me from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet.

This might sound a little crazy, but this is true. This was happening while I was working out in nature outside and in the living room. After a while, I went to my upstairs bedroom and lay down. Had a felt sense of this healing energy and just bathed in it for hours and drifted off to sleep.

Back to my story, I was also getting very aware of my pain and feelings -- wanting to get my act together and become a team player, and I did quickly.

Remember, stop running away from repressed emotions. Stop trying to forget, and start facing. Then let the thought float over you, as Claire Weekes teaches, or use acceptance as in weighing the options. Do I want to look at this situation in the worst possible way and keep hurting by doing what I’ve always done, or do I want to learn these techniques of facing, awareness, and acceptance to re-start my thinking for a healing to eventually happen.

After that match, it was major injury number 2 on top of the first football injury. I had a wrestling match for the weekend and knew I wasn’t going to make it. I lay in bed again getting help to roll over.

The dream was over. No more thoughts of the bright lights. TMS had reared its ugly head again. Now you might ask at this point, how TMS had anything to do with the second injury. Well you see, I was anticipating my dream with hope and fear. The TMS recognized the fear and put a stop to me going into the wrestling industry.

It’s the mechanism. We have to know when our brain thinks we’re very emotional about something that might cause even more emotional distress. Then the TMS will send pain signals to get your mind off the emotional issues. It’s not fair, it’s not right. Tons of high school and college football hopefuls have been cut short by this TMS Mechanism. But you say you really were hurt.

Here is another concept. What stresses you out? I’ve just revealed all the keys in this chapter. As you learn these steps of awareness and the fine points of acceptance, you’d be surprised when you start to journal you’ll see how much blame you put on others and yourself to measure up.

You must be honest with yourself -- that’s what journaling is all about. In reality, all we had to do was just let the memory go, but we want to hang on to those memories. We never have been taught how to be set free of this devastating disease. It’s become an epidemic, and only we ourselves can change the tide by doing the stuff we have never really wanted to do

In all truth, most of what is healing and taught here on this page was told by Jesus two thousand years ago.

Now my back pain was worse than ever. The guys from the wrestling association called over the weekend and I didn’t pick up the phone. I was hurt, all my attention was on the pain, not the wrestling anymore.

The TMS had conquered again at getting me out of my passion for sports. Time was flying by and what was I supposed to do now? The bottle helped a lot with the pain, but it was still there to waken me after a hangover.

The truth is; TMS is a defense mechanism. We don’t want it, we think we don’t need it, but it’s there for a reason. The more we understand TMS, the more our lives will grow in the best direction. I know it doesn’t sound that way, but as you’ll see as the pages follow finding out that the truth about TMS is one of the main things in life besides our walk with God. It is going to help lead us in the right direction to emotional freedom and a beautiful life.

We don’t have to be Buddhist monks. We just have to get the understanding and in time, if we learn, we will heal not only of our physical pains and excel, but our mental pains too.

All our affirmations have to be about calmness, because our stressors or things that stress us out are really making our adrenal glands release a lot more adrenaline than we need. Then we get nervous and we hurt.

The rules sound simple, but unless you do them you will never heal. We discover from day one as we listen that Dr. Sarno’s teachings are different, we start to realize we have hope again.

Acceptance is the first rule. It is an acceptance that Yes, I’m in pain, but I will heal. But before that you have to have an acceptance that Dr. Sarno is telling the truth in his ground-breaking book Healing Back Pain.

Then we go on to learn higher forms of acceptance that have been taught throughout this book. I’ve studied higher learning for 25 years and until I ran across Dr. Sarno’s works, I hadn’t put it all together.

This is information that is hard for many of us to believe. We must accept that hundreds of thousands have been healed of TMS-repressed emotions in order to take our first steps toward becoming free of pain.

I know we hear that we heal in different ways. This is true because everyone’s problem may be unique to them. But we should use the same concepts as stated above. We approach the process the same. We have to accept. That’s the first word that jumped out to me as I read Sarno’s book, and accept I did. Since then I’ve learned many different forms of acceptance which will be discussed through stories and metaphors in future chapters.

4. tamanter

tamanter New Member

Hi Ellen,
    Thank you for you Support. I think you are right! This time I need to go deeper to identify my repressed emotion. It is not simple, since November. But....since I started to follow the structured program, 3 days ago, it is still working! And it is amazing how I can control my pain.
    I let you know how my progress evolve.
    Thank you
    Antonio

Ellen and Colly like this.
  5. tamanter

tamanter New Member

Thank you Walt.
    A really interesting reading. It gave me a boost. I red it twice, and, even if is hard to apply, I follow this idea.
    Thank you again. Know I am interest in this book.
    Antonio

6. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Tamanter

I had a recent TMS relapse, brought on in part to starting on a new project at work, with a new team and frequent travel to West Coast of Australia, etc. I found it hard to comprehend that I was having a relapse, and was very frustrated and angry for allowing myself to get that worked up about the change at work. Having got through the difficult stage of the previous project, my team were finishing off well, but as the project came to and end I started to feel a little anxious about the change. And TMS was happy to pay me a visit to remind me of this!

I think people underestimate the impact of a change of job can have on inner tension. One thing I found really beneficial for my recent recovery was a couple of CD's from Dr Emmett Miller. Normally I wouldn't be inclined to buy stuff like this, but as they were recommended in Steve Ozanich's book "The Great Pain Deception" I thought I'd give them a go. I ordered Dr Miller's "I am" and "Easing into sleep" CD's and highly recommend these. I find meditation can be hard to do without a helping hand, and Dr Miller definitely provides this. I listened to these CD's every night for about an hour before bed, for several weeks, and could feel my inner tension melt away day by day, until my pain left me.

Check out member: Ace1 "steps to recovery" on the other TMS help forum. I printed this off and read it on the train to work for weeks, and this was an enormous help also.

All the best and keep us posted. Colly

Ellen likes this.
  7. tamanter

tamanter New Member

Thank you Colly....i hope your words may help me!