1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Zafirides The Painful Consequences of Parental Rejection

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Peter Zafirides, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

Hi Everyone,

I thought this article on parental rejection was relevant as it relates to PPD/TMS:

http://www.thehealthymind.com/2012/06/13/the-painful-consequences-of-parental-rejection/

One of the most interesting parts of this particular study was the relationship between emotional and physical pain.

From the article: "emerging evidence from the past decade of research in psychology and neuroscience is revealing that the same parts of the brain are activated when people feel rejected as are activated when they experience physical pain."

Science is only beginning to figure out what he have known for a long time - our emotions can, and routinely do, manifest themselves as physical symptoms.

Keep moving forward and never doubt your strength. You CAN transcend the pain of PPD/TMS.

Kindly,
    Dr. Zafirides

2. quert

quert Guest

I liked the way that his provides scientific evidence that arguably supports inner child work. For example, it says, "Looking at 36 studies from around the world that together involved more than 10,000 participants, [the authors] found that the pain of rejection — especially when it occurs over a period of time in childhood — tends to linger into adulthood."

It goes on to say that "“Unlike physical pain, however, people can psychologically re-live the emotional pain of rejection over and over for years,” Rohner says." This seemed to correspond very nicely to what Alan Gordon was talking about with his "Jody's Brain" image - the way that internalized voices or pains from early childhood can follow us into adulthood.

Endless luke likes this.
  3. Peter Zafirides

Peter Zafirides Physician

Quert,

Isn't it just amazing at how powerful - both emotionally and physically - rejection can be? It just illustrates how little we still know about the mind-body connection in general and chronic pain in specific.

Alan Gordon is an amazingly talented PPD/TMS professional. It is an honor to serve with him on the PPDA board.

Never doubt how powerful you are, Quert!!

-Dr. Z

4. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Thank you Peter for your input on this very complex and painful topic. So many of us walk with the trophies or the spoils of childhood abuse. I am so happy that I belong to this generation of people who are prepared to speak out and denounce parental neglect and above all not to perpetuate it. I believe that there is healing in bringing our own children under the covenant that they are 'pearls' lent to us. Loving and caring for children and being cared and loved by them is a most amazing experience. It is a two way healing and growing up.

Best wishes,