1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. BruceMC is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at that 3pm Eastern time.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

The need to cure psychological issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rbmunkin, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:05 AM.

1. rbmunkin

rbmunkin Peer Supporter

Hi,
    If I have insight into the psychological issues that bother me in life, don't I have to "cure" them, get over them, before the pain ceases? Otherwise if those issues are still there, why wouldn't the pain still exist to distract me from the issues?
    Psychological issues are not easily gotten beyond. Some of them seem impossible and will simply be there for life. Does that mean pain for life?
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. Andy B

Andy B Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Rick,

No, Dr. Sarno tells us that the process is easier than this. If you're bothered, then you're seeing, and by seeing (we're seeing more of the inner truth of our experience) and connecting that this is the cause of symptoms, then symptoms lose their power to distract.

It means when the pain comes up, we gently inquire into the psychological roots or stress roots of this, probably not even getting a perfect answer. But we're applying awareness and understanding, and confidence that the symptom is not dangerous. We're feeling a little more, perhaps than we used to. This feeling and understanding reduces the inner tension.

Using Dr. Sarno's theories while gently being in contact with ourselves is the method, rather than ever trying to fix anything. This method may lead to changes in the way you relate to yourself, or life changes too, but any changes will be from the insights of "being with," not "curing."

I hope this makes sense to you.

Andy B

andy64tms likes this.