1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

The First Step to Curing TMS [Question]

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ShaneM, Apr 5, 2015.

1. ShaneM

ShaneM Peer Supporter

Quick question: I suffer from a long history (9-10 years) of psychosomatic problems; first severe OCD, then severe anxiety, coupled with IBS and paranoia. In April of 2012 I developed a slight ache in my right hand (near the pinky and ring finger). At that point I came across Repetitive Strain Injury and deduced I was developing that as I had used the computer compulsively for years with little attention to ergonomics, breaks, or stretching. I quickly begin to panic and worry profusely about my future; the computer was what I knew and loved, it was how I met many of my friends and how I related to others in school. The computer was a huge part of my life and losing my ability to use it without pain was a crippling thought.

Past this point I continued to use the computer; partially because I had to for schoolwork and also because I was in a state of denial. The pain progressively got worse, in one week it spread to my left hand and in a matter of months it was constant and did not fade even during rest. I was at a loss until I came across TMS. Yet, even though TMS seems to be a miracle cure which not only fits my situation and personality perfectly; I have been unable to cure myself with the approach. I have been on the edge of "Oh, it's TMS" and "It's gotta be RSI" for years and I'm having trouble breaking that boundary. I'll approach the problem as TMS for a solid month and then end up back to healing RSI. Although I continually use my hands and do not limit myself (as recommended for TMS patients) I have noticed little to no improvement in 3 years, which is what keeps me coming back to the notion that I suffer from RSI.

I feel I should rethink the way that I approach the pain in my hands. The first step is not reading one of Sarno's books; nor is it reading about TMS at all. I must first get as many tests done as I possibly can to identify whether there truly is a physical abnormality or not. With this, I've come to this forum with a question. For those of you who suffered from TMS in the form of RSI; what tests should I have done to rule out a physical problem?

I imagine an X-Ray would help, an MRI too. I want to give a nerve study done but by no means do I want to get an EMG as I heard it's very painful. I'm looking for advice, thanks in advance! =)

2. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Hello,
    I've developed hard RSI after I worked as dental assistant. When the pain showed up with no reson in right hand I got panicked and went to several doctors.
    I had MRI (that showed significant damages in left wrist) x Rays of both that didn't show anything and finally nerve and muscule study on both hands that were not painful at all - just weird.

I finally came across TMS and since that I'm 80% pain less. The most helpful for me were meditations and structural educational program (available on TMS/wiki.org).

Hope you'll get better soon!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi , Shane. I strongly suggest you get a medical checkup about your pain.
    Your doctor will recommend what tests... probably X-ray, CT scan, MRI.
    No fun to go through all that, but afterward you will know if your pain is structural.

Even if it is, don't opt immediately for surgery. Maybe medication.
    Dr. Sarno says often structural problems are found, but they don't actually cause pain.
    You could still have pain because of TMS.

You could get the tests and start the Structured Educational Program, free in
    that subforum. It won't hurt you to know more about TMS and how to deal with it.
    There are also great posts in the other subforums about it, and how people have healed from TMS.

Think positive. You don't have any structural problem and if you do, you can heal,
    even if it takes a combination of medical help and TMS.