1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S. (New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom imperative - how common is it?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Painfreefuture, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Painfreefuture

Painfreefuture Peer Supporter

Today I am getting the most horrible headaches, worst I have had in months. They come and go and seem to be oscillating with my back pain. This is a frustrating experience and I am trying to keep my cool about it. The worse my head hurts, the less my back hurts, then it switches. Is this symptom substitution? What do I do about it? I am so mad at my brain right now!!

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The symptom imperative is so very common that it almost feels like part of the process when you've been around for a while. Just ride through it smoothly, letting your unconscious know that you are wise to its tricks and won't be distracted. It may take a while, but eventually it will cool down.

3. Painfreefuture

Painfreefuture Peer Supporter

Thanks Forest! I'm trying to remember this is the same thing, just in a new place, but it is so distracting. I appreciate your comment. I found your interview with Nice Sachs yesterday and thought it was great. Her advice to go where you don't want to let yourself go was very helpful. I am also a mother of young children and am dealing with similar feelings. Thank you for your work in getting the word out about TMS.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad to hear you liked the interview.
    ... and that is why your brain chose it. :) The best that you can do is ride it out, remembering that it is just TMS and confident in the knowledge that this is a good sign and it will eventually die down. (Of course, just because it sounds like TMS doesn't mean it is, so if you have safety concerns, you should still get them checked out. That's just common sense, but still worth repeating.)

5. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

My symptoms really got on the move when I was making the post progress, pain would move around almost hourly. Just think "I've got you on the move sucker" :smuggrin:, it will soon get the message that you're not being bluffed.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Pain that is in one place or that moves around is all just part of TMS and we have to try to ignore it
    and study our repressed emotions. We all know that, just thought I'd remind everyone and myself, too.

Find things to enjoy.

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Headaches come on from pressure put on yourself. Maybe it is the imperative but if you just take it slower on your lessons you'll come through fine. Lighten up on yourself and do not fear this symptom just ride it through and all will be well.:) If you start to feel the pain begin - only at the beginning you can usually tell it to stop and it will but that will even turn into a hindrance till you learn to do it without saying a word. In this situation calmness and relaxation are key. Don't fear, your next phase. You will beat this with good clean thinking and you wont have to go through another imperative. Lose any focus attached to this physical symptom and always think psychological. If you get angry or upset about anything then you will feed the pain.
    Bless

Kizaa likes this.