1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Switching One Symptom for Another - RSI to Constipation

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by coffeenpizza, May 29, 2020.

1. coffeenpizza

coffeenpizza New Member

10 Years ago I was struggling with RSI of my fingers from "playing too many video games". It went on for 5 years and I couldn't even use a computer for 5 minutes.

Then I read Dr. Sarnos book and it literally changed my life. 80-90% reduction in pain and now I work full time on the computer.

Now the last couple years, since I fixed that problem it just switched to a pooping problem. I poop 50% of what I use to and with IBS often. Once I start reading the book again it goes away for a bit but then I get headaches. It just keeps switching to something else.

I'm at a loss of what to do. How do I confront the root of the problem rather than just focusing on the symptoms?

Anyone have a success story or technique that would help me get through this?

Thanks

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

This is my favorite article on symptom substitution. It's from Dr. Howard Schubiner:
    https://www.unlearnyourpain.com/blog/mbs17-why-symptoms-move-and-change-a-look-at-symptom-substitution/ (MBS#17–Why symptoms move and change? A look at symptom substitution – Chronic Pain Relief)
    Basically, your brain is trying anything to keep you distracted and scared. If you worry about the new symptoms, they will generally persist. If you are able to disregard them, they will fade away. I am the opposite of you. IBS and constipation were my long term problems (12 years). Then new stuff popped up. It's all better now. In my experience, once I beat most of my symptoms with TMS knowledge, the new ones just weren't scary. They are a little distressing at first, but I was pretty quickly able to laugh them off and move on. Generally, it's easier to get rid of them than it is to get rid of your initial problem. Anyway, the new symptoms are actually a sign of progress, so keep up the good work!

BloodMoon and TG957 like this.
  3. coffeenpizza

coffeenpizza New Member

This is great. Much appreciated!