1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Sudden upper back pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I've been through a lot of emotional stress for the last week with feeling on edge, light headed, occasional dizzy spells, nausea and headaches. I didn't get a good nights sleep with feeling tense and irritated and this morning while lying on the sofa watching tv I suddenly felt pain in my upper back. I didn't do anything to cause the pain. When I sit up and turn my head to the side I can feel the pain worse in my upper back. Could this be TMS related? Please advise.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes it could. Sounds like a classic case of PPDS. Look here http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/psycho-physiological-dizziness-syndrome-ppds.4599/#post-91391 (Psycho-Physiological Dizziness Syndrome (PPDS))
    I added upper back pain to the symptoms list back when I posted it, because I experienced it and probably other people too. Anyway, all your other symptoms get mentioned in the original article (link is available in one of the last posts).
    I think there is a good chance that it is all TMS related.

3. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the link you provided and it is very interesting and fascinating.

All the symptoms listed are what I experience. I have started to see a pattern that when I am highly stressed I start feeling pain in my neck then tension tightness in my jaws and neck which then develops into dizziness.

I notice it is worse when I get up from bed or chair to go to the bathroom or kitchen as the instant I get up I hear a wooshing sound in my head and I feel off balance and dizzy or when I am walking outside as a I feel a heavy pressure feeling in my head as if gravity is pulling my head down and my legs start feeling wobbly.

Last time I had this bad was a couple of years ago but it went away by not paying it any attention. However, I am finding it difficult this time not paying it any attention because the stress I'm feeling is worse than before.

I am still feeling the pain in my upper back but last night I started getting a migraine headache on the right side of my forehead and behind my eye and I had toothache on my molars on the same side. However, I'm not sure if the toothache in my molar is due to cavities or TMS.

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Sensitive teeth/molars are also pretty common in TMS. It is often accompanied by tension/sensitivity in the surrounding muscles such as the masseter and temporalis (the latter is also connected to experiencing pain on the right side of your forehead...).
    To be clear, PPDS is TMS. So even things that are not mentioned in the article about PPDS can be psychophysical.

5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Artmuzz, you’ve detailed your struggles with anxiety and specific life situations. Have you read through a more comprehensive list of anxiety-related symptoms? All of this can absolutely be TMS, and given what you’ve told us recently, I would say you fit the TMS personality profile to a T. Nothing wrong with that - we all do, which is why we’re here. “Sudden pain” coming on while dealing with strong emotions is always suspicious. :)

Below is a good list of various anxiety symptoms, but it should be noted that there are LIMITLESS anxiety symptoms, and I’ve had many that don’t even appear on this list or anywhere else online (which drove me insane for quite some time, as I needed the validation):

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml (Anxiety Symptoms and Signs - Over 100 listed.)

I definitely recommend making the reduction of your anxiety a top priority. You can do this!

Also, please don’t Google any symptoms. A good chunk of the people who post online about ANY type of health issue aren’t emotionally well (even if they don’t realize it), and basing your fate, recovery, and experience on what they say is incredibly unfair to you. This is why I don’t Google anything anymore, including my congenital and structural connective tissue disorder. I say this because anxiety often leads to Googling and researching. You’re going to be fine.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  6. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

One other point of consideration: you need to get to the point where you feel 100% comfortable making the executive decision to recognize your anxiety and make that your primary focus when any sudden pains or puzzling symptoms appear. I’m not saying to completely neglect your health and disregard anything serious, but when you have a history of TMS, are medically deemed as being in good physical condition, and deal with strange issues that pop up when you’re going through a lot emotionally, you have to know and believe you’re going to be OK.

Understand that TMS is something everyone on the planet deals with at some point, and all it means is that you’re dealing with anxiety-related symptoms, which are truly ENDLESS.

If you need a little extra help, here’s a natural supplement my doctor gave to me; it reduces cortisol, thus reducing anxiety: https://empoweredsustenance.com/phosphatidylserine-benefits/ (Phosphatidylserine: The Brain Nutrient That Changed My Life)

Continue working on yourself and building your support system.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018