1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stung by a wasp 3 weeks ago, still itches...TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jules, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

This sounds weird, but I was stung on my wrist by a wasp four weeks ago, which hurt like a motherf****. I put aloe vera on it and it seemed to get better, however, two weeks after that, it started itching like crazy and the site started swelling again.

I went to my doctor and he thought it was a localized reaction, so he prescribed prednisone and an antihistamine. A few days later, the sting site started going down and four days after, the itching stopped and I could barely see the sting.

Fast forward a week later and it’s now itching like crazy - again! It’s as if I had just been stung a few days ago. The bump has come back and it hasn’t spread, but very localized, and itches like crazy. Granted, every time I weed, it seems to itch worse. I have been reading about delayed reaction and I now understand wasps leave a venom sack inside the skin and it can react with your nervous system for a bit, but for maybe a week, not a month.

So, could this be TMS highjacking this stupid sting?? It seems highly unlikely that a wasp sting would still cause itching nearly a month later, right??

2. fern

fern Well known member

I've had this, and I don't think it was TMS! I've only been stung by a wasp once (also near my wrist!), but I remember it itching forever (after it stopped hurting, which took like 24 hours!). I could see the mark for weeks, if not months. I have sensitive skin and lots of allergies anyway, so I think when it comes to something like that, I just have lots of histamines ready to fire all the time. If you're a sensitive person (as I think most of us TMS folks are), it may just be that your skin will notice every last molecule of that venom until it's gone!

You may want to watch out for future wasp stings, though! Subsequent stings can apparently elicit stronger reactions, once you're sensitized. Sorry about the sting! I was surprised by how much (and how long!) it hurt and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Jules likes this.
  3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a spider bite on my forearm which acted in a similar way. I agree with Fern. It would really bother me after I took a bath. I think it's how much circulation is getting to it and the venom is getting reactivated, but released at the same time. I could see my bite for months, also.
    Try putting wet baking soda on it in a little pile and sit still until it dries.

Jules likes this.
  4. Jules

Jules Well known member

Thanks!

I have been dousing it with calamine lotion and a paste of baking soda and water and it’s calming down. I have never had a reaction like this before, but then I can’t remember ever being stung by a wasp, only hornets and bees. Stupid assholes. :mad:

5. Jules

Jules Well known member

I did the baking soda paste and calamine and that has helped tons, thanks!

MWsunin12 likes this.
  6. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Remember that TMS is not an actual medical condition - it's a natural bodily response to emotions that every single human being experiences at some point. Emotions interrupt the immune system from doing its job, leading to prolonged colds, resurfacing Epstein-Barr symptoms, tissue and wound healing, etc. This has been scientifically documented. If you're dealing with negative emotions and find yourself not healing as quickly as you used to, never forget the power of the mind-body connection. This whole notion of "Is X symptom/condition TMS or structural?" isn't always the most accurate way to view it.

Definitely use the baking soda and calamine if it helps - sometimes the body does need a little extra "push." Just don't forget to make sure you're in a good place emotionally, too. Your immune system's response to bites isn't going to benefit from negative emotions.

Here's one example of delayed wound healing from emotional stress - this goes beyond wound healing and can also include other conditions and symptoms : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3052954/ (The Impact of Psychological Stress on Wound Healing: Methods and Mechanisms)

Interestingly, elevated mental stress is one of the risk factors for sting-related anaphylaxis. While this isn't your specific issue, it does show how mental stress worsens bodily responses: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3334720/ (Insect Stings: Clinical Features and Management)

I feel the need to mention this since we're all participants of a TMS forum where powerful emotions, obsession, fear, etc. are common. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018