1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Studies suggest TMS could the root cause of Male Pattern Hairloss

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by guitar999, Sep 16, 2021.

1. guitar999

guitar999 New Member

I wanted to discuss some pretty fascinating information about male pattern hair loss. New theories suggest that tension of the galea aponeurotica is actually the root cause. The galea aponeurotica is a large piece of rigid connective tissue that covers the scalp and is connected to the frontalis muscles and also muscles at the back and side of the scalp. It is correlates exactly with the area affected by male pattern hairloss. Tension in the galea aponeurotica is caused by chronic tension in the surrounding muscles and results in restricted blood flow and consequently low level oxygen deprivation of hair follicles. It is suggested that this is the root cause of MPB and the body responds to the chronic stress/lack of oxygen by sending more dht a hormone that promotes hair growth in low quantities but in excess quantities causes further miniaturisation as well as the reduction in fatty tissues that hair follicles live in further encouraging miniaturisation. There is undoubtedly a genetic component to MPH, it is most likely to do with how the body actually responds to the chronic scalp tension. Either by creating excess dht which erodes the fatty cushion, accelerates miniaturisation and creates inflammation or by just keeping the hair. It's undoubtedly more complicated and I'll link a few studies that talk about all this, however let me re state, the root cause is scalp tension and constriction of the galea aponeurotica, how the body responds to this may be influenced somewhat by genetics, and also the shape of your scalp.
    Now for some proof! There have been a number of studies that have injected botox into the the muscles surrounding the galea, these studies have shown outstanding results with something like 18% increase in hair when you'd expect a decrease. In otherwords it works as well as finasteride the most commonly used drug, which I take. So BASICALLY MPH is caused by chronic tension of the scalp muscles around the galea this sets of a chain reaction involving dht which is produced in excess in oxygen deprived environments. They have proved that simply relaxing the muscles around the scalp increases blood flow allows the hair to recover. Now this sounds a little bit like TMS doesn't it?
    Keep reading I want to tell you my story, but at the end of it I'll put some links up to some scientific papers that actually will confirm this is legit. And then let's discuss this and see if someone's able willing to treat their MPH with with this understanding.
    So I am a musician, at age 20 I suffered from rsi that turned into diagnosed fibromyalgia ect, I was at university studying music and my career appeared to be over before it began. After two and a half years of despair and heartbreak and thousands on physical therapy I got no where. I kept hearing from people that one never makes a full recovery and that I'll have to manage it all my life, I couldn't find any success stories of musicians recovering. Anyway one day I must have stumbled on this place and thought "rubbish". It stayed in my subconscious tho and one day I was at the government welfare office and the lady was really horrible to me. My wrist started hurting where I first injured it and I hadn't even used it all day and anyway the pain had moved elsewhere by then. Suddenly I realised that there was a psychological aspect to my pain and my anger at the mean lady at the welfare office triggered it, anyway this sent me back to the tms diagnosis, with encouragement from my physio, who I stopped seeing immediately, and also I saw a psychologist for a few months, I made a swift recovery after 2.5 years of rsi and I actually recently won a prize in a major international music competition, and have been giving great recitals, it's about 4 years I think since I got better. Thanks everyone here for your success stories, they gave me hope and I actually read like 10 a day when I was trying to convince myself tms was a thing anyway tms changed my life and now I play as much as I want and nothing causes pain in my hands.

Now how this relates to my earlier point is I had tms symptoms since I was very young, mostly migrains, tension headaches behind my right eye. In other words I have chronic muscle tension around my galea aponeurotica probably since I was a young child. Anyway at about 17 or 18 I started losing my hair, MPH, at 19 I started taking finasteride which halted my hairloss to my absolute immense relief. It is very distressing to contemplate balness at that age. Interestingly around the time I started balding I recall noting that I wasn't getting migraines, I'm thinking maybe I was obsessing about hair loss and this was a suitable distraction. Anyway when I started finasteride the hair loss stoped and I didn't think about it much. Back came the pain, first a sore neck, then a few months later I developed rsi that lasted for two years. Now when I finally beat my rsi my anxiety about my hair came back in a big way a month or so later, it went eventually. It might be that I'm reconstructing a pattern when their isn't one, but I have a suspicion there might actually be a pattern to this. I still have all my hair thanks to finasteride, but I have a lot of chronic muscular tension around my scalp and jaw, Interestingly I recently contemplated the prospect of quitting finasteride, guess what, tension headaches and blurry vision was back for a few weeks, and I think the anxiety about going bald did it. Now all this sounds a bit thin in terms of drawing conclusions, I'm not personally convinced and I don't want to quit finasteride and see if I can treat this as Tms, I don't want to risk being bald I'm 6 months. Can I restate here that finasteride blocks dht which is increase by the scalp tension and oxygen deprivation. So it's like a circuit breaker but isn't actually treating the cause, scalp tension and consequent low blood flow. I have so much scalp tension, when I relax I feel like I can imagine blood going back and perhaps the area above the galea is warmer, I'm thinking I might try see if I can induce a change in temperature by relaxing, if I could prove it to myself with a thermometer that would go a long way to convincing myself. When I recovered from my rsi my left hand would get hot and clamy with the surge in blood flow, it was the craziest thing, but it proved to me that it was working, perhaps the scalp would do the same thing if I could accept a tms diagnosis. Please have a look at the following articles and papers. Thanks for reading this essay and let's discuss.

This study proves tension of the galea matches the pattern of hair loss and suggests its an underlying cause.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4639964/ (Involvement of Mechanical Stress in Androgenetic Alopecia)

This study used botox to relax the scalp.
    https://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/FullText/2010/11000/Treatment_of_Male_Pattern_Baldness_with_Botulinum.79.aspx (Treatment of Male Pattern Baldness with Botulinum Toxin: A... : Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery)
    Here's another botox study
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5782443/ (A Pilot Study to Evaluate Effectiveness of Botulinum Toxin in Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in Males)
    There are more studies out there but these three are with a read.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.