1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Struck down by anxiety

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Avy, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Avy

Avy New Member

For around 2 weeks I was mostly feeling ok considering pain. My stomach was calm (no nausea), my headaches weren't so bad, some weird knee pain coming and going nothing too bad but yet I had problems with depression and couple of emotional outbursts. Lots of meditation and yoga were helping, but I wasn't consistent with it.

Last thursday I found out my family member was not doing good. That night I feel asleep feeling sick and after an hour I woke up in an horrible anxiety/panic attack and my mouth started to get numb. On friday I urgently had to take her to the ER and they left her in the hospital in the end. She's going to be fine but this is not the first time I'm going through something similar with her. Since then I have daily nausea and anxiety attacks in measure I never had before. My anxiety is the worst in the evening, especially when I try to relax with some movies. This has happened twice now. Eventually I calm down and fell asleep. I decided that I'm going to see a psychologist, I can't deal with this alone anymore it's just too much. It affects my work ability a lot. I'm aware that this event was just a trigger and that it would probably happen eventually, but yet I'm so lost in all of this that I can't think straight right now.

I have a feeling like I'm running in circles with this TMS and symptoms are just changing and will never go away. A week ago I was feeling fine and I'm afraid I won't find myself in this state again.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Avy. Taking your friend to the hospital was stressful, so it is no wonder you had trouble sleeping and having anxiety attacks. You may be right that the events triggered some repressed emotions that are causing your symptoms. Try to think about past events that may apply to the current stresses, and write about them.

It could be helpful for you to see a psychologist, but try to find one who believes in the MindBody connection. They don't have to be a TMS therapist, just someone who believes emotions can and often do cause physical pain.

3. Avy

Avy New Member

Hi Walt! Thank you for your reply. I honestly didn't think at first I heard what was happening that is going to affect me, but obviously something is going on that needs to be recognized.

It's hard to find here a good psychologist (at least through our state insurance) but I hope to find somebody that believes in MBS. Unfortunately, I don't have money for private ones or TMS therapists.

4. Trellis

Trellis New Member

I came across the Self Therapy website on here; I've found it quite helpful. Might be worth trying if you're struggling to find a psychologist. Sorry I don't know how to do links on here but it's www.selftherapy.org I think.

5. Avy

Avy New Member

Thank you Trellis, I will for sure check it out!