1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Strange new symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jojo61, May 31, 2015.

1. Jojo61

Jojo61 Peer Supporter

Hi I'm pretty new here and working on the SEP, first week still.

Since reading healing backpain and starting the SEP I have had some new physical symptoms I've never had before... All of a sudden I have a muscle pain in my right lower leg. I hear a ringing sound in my ears from time to time. And today I suddenly had two patches of skin that started feeling irritated and are swelling up a bit and turning red. That last one kind of phased me, but I do feel it's TMS too because when I'm distracted I hardly notice it.

Has anyone else experienced this, especially the last one?

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

nope but sounds like you are on the right track!!! keep beating down the door

Jojo61 likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

All the things you describe can be TMS symptoms I believe. Also, many people experience new and shifting symptoms when they begin to work with TMS ala the program you are doing. So if you ignore and simply use this as evidence that you have TMS, this is probably the best approach.

Jojo61 likes this.
  4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, I have a creative mind! I have found that since I started working on TMS a few years ago, and for the most part I am painfree these days, my sub-conscious has come up with a very long list of new scary symptoms. I have found that the less I pay attention to them, the faster they go away. And its not just paying attention to the symptoms less, but also refocusing on what is going on in my life and how I feel about it. For me, strange new symptoms is a signal that my mind is trying to distract me from something I don't really want to feel or deal with. Or perhaps I just need to slow down or I have fallen into my old ways of putting too much pressure on myself. I get weird pains and sensations all over! About a month ago my wrists started feeling achey and shakey. Hard to describe but just weird. It freaked me out a bit because I had never felt it before and it was on both sides. What did that mean...? Today I was washing my car and I noticed that I hadn't thought about it for a while and that the weird wrist pain was gone and then just like it responded to a cue the grip in my hand felt achey and my wrists hurt. I had to laugh. Really? You are getting pretty obvious! For a while I was getting a strange numbness in my front teeth and nose. One day my calf started twitching. I often hear a little ringing in my ears. And sometimes a pounding in the back of my head like a drum. A few years ago my knees hurt so bad I thought I had arthritis. Now they never hurt. I had extreme pain in my feet. Bladder spasms. Occipital neuralgia. Many years of chronic back pain and sciatica. Some vision stuff. Dizziness. Stomach upset. Headaches. Hip pain. Heart palpitations. Muscle twitching in various places pretty much everywhere there is a muscle. One time I had pain in my kidney area so bad I was sure I was passing stones or had a gallbladder infection or something. Rushed to my doctor and he gave me a muscle relaxer that I took once and it was gone the next day. Brain fog. Pain in my teeth and jaw. Panic attacks. It is a wonder I am still alive! It is a little embarrassing to list all these things but the point is, they all felt very real. They all were real! Our minds have an amazing capacity to create frightening, very painful and scary physical sensations that get us questioning, researching, worrying, thinking that something must be terribly wrong physically. And actually, our bodies are absolutely fine and we are focused on the wrong thing to get out of pain. The pull is so powerful that we will have surgery, expensive tests, miss work, don't get out of bed, damage relationships and live in misery to avoid completely accepting the TMS diagnosis. What are we truly afraid of? I am not a doctor, but I can pretty much guarantee that your sudden leg pain, ringing of the ears and skin rash, are not life threatening. I am a breast cancer survivor and the funny thing is, I spent a whole lot less time thinking about the breast cancer than I have all of these TMS symptoms! I got diagnosed, had a mastectomy, and then I was suddenly a survivor. Done. I am not trying to lecture you or sound too emphatic, I am just trying to encourage you. You are okay. Yes, your mind will throw all kinds of strange new things at you. Its not easy to move forward and not get caught up in it. But the more you practice and focus on the other things going on in your life, the happier you will be. This is only your first week and you are doing great!!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  5. Jojo61

Jojo61 Peer Supporter

Hi Anne, thanks for your reply. It's good to hear I'm not the only one with a list of symptoms as long as my arm :). I was wondering if that was normal, I guess it is. Your right, I keep telling my mind that when it hurts my body I will only pay more attention to my emotional state, not less. It seems to work (sometimes). Thanks for the encouragement!

Anne Walker likes this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

You are headed in the right direction pain is on the run already keep working

7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Ann Walker

I am the male version of you minus the breast cancer...thank god you are fine went threw cancer in my family it is very tough and yes u are a survivor.

I like your comment about you where thinking u did not have that pain in a while and bang it was there happens to meet I just laugh and say know you are way to obvious.

Thx for sharing

Anne Walker likes this.