1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Still .01 percent not sure if tms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Summermissy, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Summermissy

Summermissy New Member

Hi, I just found Dr. Sarnos books one week ago. I have read all four and reread and will continue to do so until I get better. I am convinced that I have TMS as I suffered with migraine headaches for 10 years. When they went away I had back and leg pain. I have had three microdisectomies L5 S1. The last being One year ago which was an emergency surgery because of footdrop. I did physical therapy for six months and I can raise my foot again but still have lower leg and ankle pain.
    My only resistance is the question that I keep going over in my mind. Did the three surgeries damage muscles or nerves that are now irreversible?
    I know I can't get better if I still have this thought in my mind. But appreciate any input. Thank you

SunnyinFL, Tennis Tom and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Summermissy

Summermissy New Member

sorry, I just realized I posted that on the wrong forum. But I am sure I will be back on this forum as a 100% success story !

SunnyinFL and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

It happens, SummerM! Not to worry, and you're not the only one, so I'm thinking I will ask Forest if one of the admins can move (or remove) posts at the request of the member. Apparently, this is an aspect of forum software, that you can't remove a post once it's up. It would be nice if members could at least move them to a different subforum, though!

If all else fails, you can edit your original post by saying that you moved it to another subforum. But I like what you said about being back in this one soon! :)

SunnyinFL likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey, fols, I've merged everything into this thread, so everything is all set. :)

SunnyinFL and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I am hardly an expert on this, never having had any back surgeries, but it seems to me that "they" are discovering that our bodies have more ability to heal and regenerate than was thought possible not that long ago. Look at brain damage - how many decades during my lifetime was it assumed that brain damage was irreversible, and now we know that isn't true. I'm kind of thinking that I've heard that the same is true of all kinds of body parts, nerves and spinal cords included. We also know that we have the power to help the healing with positive visualization. Easier said than done, but I'm convinced it can be done.

SunnyinFL likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Positive visualization is one of the great things I have found to help heal.

Eric Watson and I write extensively about visualization in our book GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN. In one section on this subject, Eric (called Herbie in the TMSWiki forum) says: "Visualization is the art of imagining yourself out of a stressful or traumatic situation and into a new state of calm, peace, and healing. The objective is to use an internal visualization to change your physiology and in contrast change your internal state. Achieve this by first building your confidence. Then get into a calm, relaxed state (deep breathing helps to do this). Then think of a memory and close your eyes and picture it. It can be a real situation that happened in your life or one made up by your imagination. Imagine you're feeling really great emotionally as you let the positive memory build in your state of calmness.

I picture myself back on the wilderness canoe trips I took years ago in the gorgeous, peaceful lake country of northern Minnesota along the Ontario border and into Canada. I imagine myself lying in a bathing suit on a sunny beach listening to the sound of loons calling across the lake, and hearing the gentle sounds of breezes in the pine trees. The sun warms me and I close my eyes and feel myself bathed in healing sunlight. I even imagine the sunlight to be the Holy Spirit inside me, calming me.

SunnyinFL likes this.
  7. Summermissy

Summermissy New Member

Thank you for acknowledging my "oops" moment. I love that people actually care & respond. Gives me more incentive to forge on with confidence!

JanAtheCPA and SunnyinFL like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno says, surgery is our best placebo. "Micro" surgery sounds like it may not be too invasive. My guess as a tennis player, not a surgeon, is that your surgeries may have not done much one way or another. Test your body and do what you would like to and find out for yourself. You can get an opinion from a TMS physician who would be familiar with the nerve structural aspects. There's a list of TMS physicians at this site, maybe you could see one.

SunnyinFL and jazzhands like this.
  9. Summermissy

Summermissy New Member

Thank you Tom, I'm seeing improvement every day so I feel quite sure that I'm going to be on the success forum soon

Tennis Tom and JanAtheCPA like this.
  10. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Good attitude, stay positive and focused.

JanAtheCPA and SunnyinFL like this.