1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Starting the program with knee pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Queegueg, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Queegueg

Queegueg Newcomer

So I just came across this program a couple of days ago. I have been familiar with Dr. Sarno for a few years. This past spring, I picked up a couple of his books after having a pretty bad bout of lower back/SI joint pain that I have had before. Reading it helped, and I really liked the ideas, but I still held some skepticism.
    I'm coming back to this because of some knee problems I have been having, namely popping and pain in my right knee. My Doctor, a naturopath, believes it may be meniscus, and referred me to physical therapy. On one level, it makes sense that I have an injury, due to being an active athlete, worker, homesteader and all that. However, I've rarely seen anyone get better from knee surgery and other therapies. I also have struggles with fatigue, headaches, and brain fog.
    Looking at some of the characteristics of somebody with TMS, I pretty much nail it, namely as a perfectionist and especially a people pleaser.

I am also currently in graduate school for psychology and have an interest in studying the sort of somatic, mind/body connections that are discussed here.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Queegueg,

Welcome to the program! Sounds like you have the right idea with your knee pain and TMS. Were you evaluated by an MD to make sure nothing else was going on with your knee? In the absence of swelling, inflammation etc that knee pain is more likely to be TMS related than due to meniscus. Small meniscal tears and such should not cause chronic pain...maybe just a little when they first occur. And most people's knees pop...nothing to be too worried about. Rest assured that many of us have had great results from this program! I was definitely skeptical at first, mostly due to my profession, but now feel this is the solution to many people's chronic pain issues. Glad you're here!