1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Spreading nerve pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JWT1, Nov 30, 2015.

1. JWT1

JWT1 New Member

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted and have been trying to get through the myriad of things that have been thrown at me in the last few months.

Brief history - At the beginning of this year I started experiencing panic attacks and high anxiety. This eventually calmed down but was replaced by widespread body pains which were much worse in the mornings and eased through the day, only to be back the next mornings. High levels of pain frequenly brought on panic attacked.

These pains have been improving over the months which I feel is down to my having proper sleep at night after starting amitryptaline treatment and following the structured program, but I still do develope widespread pain if I walk for to long a time. However I am now facing a new problem.

Approx 8 years ago I developed and still have right sided testie pain which is triggered by urinating and lasts for several hours afterwards, like a deep dull ache behind the testie after urinating. This has greatly improved with amitryptaline taken over the years and which is helping now but generally this pain ha been a total nuisance over the years. Before this testie soreness developed I had pelvic pain which was diagnosed as prostatitis and the testie pain eventually diagnosed as epidydimis nerve related pain. My current problem is related to this. In the last few weeks I have experienced very new, strange and concerning sensations when urinating. After urinating I get a nerve type burning sensation up my back, in my arms and legs and hands and feet, and is accompanied by aching in the joints in my arms and legs, a dull headache and a feeling of unwellness and sensations of body jerks like my nervous system has been jangled. These occurences have increased in the last few weeks to the point of me now dreading having to go to the toilet (which I suppose might be the problem psychologically).

Of course when these new sensations started I was very alarmed because I had not experienced them before, only in the testie area for years. I have mentioned it to my GP and to the pain clinic neurologist and he felt it was central sensitisation with my body nerves possibly being inflammed by my testie nerve pain trigger. I visited my GP yet again today and asked if she could arrange an MRI scan of my spine to check for any abnormaties. I was kicked in the back twelve years ago between my shoulder blades which has never effected movement in my back or limbs but the area between my shoulder blades feels sore after urinating along with the rest of my body. I suppose I'm worried that damage was done there at the time of being kicked and which has worsened with time and is now causing problems. I have recently learned of a condition called automonic hyperreflexia which is playing on my mind and worrying me.

What is worrying me is why this new body wide widespread pain has started now after urinating after all these years. My biggest feat is that it is widespread nerve dysfunction at play and is being triggered by the nerves in the pelvis after urinating, but today I have been thinking on the idea of it possibly being TMS related. Could this be just another case of symptom imperative at play, created and centred around around my existing pelvic nerve pain that I've had for many years instead of an actual real physical nervours system disorder?

My apologies for the lengthly background history and thanks to anybody that can help out with any advice.

John.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, John. I suggest you go to the subforum on this site called ASK A TMS THERAPIST and just cut and paste your post from November 30 or write whatever you want.

Don't consult Doctor Google for answers to your pains. You can worry yourself into thinking you have every ailment imaginable.

When you feel real anxious and stressed, watch some Youtube videos on self-hypnosis for relaxation.
    My favorite is Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking. Michael Sealey's soothing voice just about puts me to sleep.

3. Mala

Mala Well known member

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

"What is worrying me is why this new body wide widespread pain has started now after urinating after all these years."

In the absence of any recent physical trauma, disease or abnormal test results you can consider TMS as your more likely diagnoses.

Being worried and afraid only feed into TMS.

I have seen a lot strange manifestations of tension in the past 20 years. Nothing surprises me anymore. You'be had quite a few yourself. So do your best to focus on recovery instead of focusing on symptoms getting worse or new ones appearing.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I like FredAmir's reply. I'm 85 and life is still not a sleigh ride on a sunny winter day. But I keep telling myself The Best Is Yet to Come!