1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 So far so good .....

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jill Pensom, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jill Pensom

Jill Pensom New Member

I feel like I have learnt a great deal about myself since reading Sarno and following the programme.

During the week I found the meditation part the most difficult. I've always found it trying to sit still (even before pain) although over the last few years blamed this on my pain. I felt being motionless worsened my pain as I focused on it and lacked any distractions. Therefore I always made sure I was on the move. I now realise that stillness forces me to connect with my emotions. I managed to meditate for five minutes and it was not as challenging as I thought it to be.

I'm looking forward to going for my second swim tomorrow. Today I drove for six hours straight, no back cushion, no stretching and although I have a few niggles the pain is a shadow of its former self.

Jill

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm excited for you, Jill, this sounds like positive progress! I would definitely encourage you to keep working on the ability to meditate - whatever that ends up meaning for you - I think it's very different for different people, but a valuable skill no matter how its done. And I wonder if some self-compassion would be helpful for you. It can't hurt to start exploring that aspect - it turns out to be a missing link for many of us. Here's a thread where people are making recommendations:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/a-book-on-learning-to-love-yourself.1745/

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Jan

3. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Jill,
    I just never thought I could meditate. I never thought I could get my mind to shut up. My mind yaks, yaks & yaks. when meditating it just yaks slower.... still yaks. Be very proud of 5 minutes. I find meditation slowly reduces my pain until it almost disappears. You could do 5 minutes 3X each day if you wanted.

4. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Hi Jill.

Have been a long time meditator & find if I need
    to counter myself I lie on the floor (rather than sit)
    as it helps ground my thoughts, allowing myself to relax
    into the floor. Always I breath through my abdomen,
    counting the breath in & out...1...then in & out 2 up to 5
    and then begin again. Sometimes I imagine I am
    bringing up the breath through my toes.

Another tip is to imagine yourself looking down
    at yourself from above. Almost remove you from
    the meditation. You observing you meditate.

Namaste!

Pete

JanAtheCPA likes this.