1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A book on learning to love yourself?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by katie, Mar 18, 2013.

1. katie

katie New Member

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a book that discusses how to love and accept yourself. I think my biggest stressor and tms trigger is lack of self worth, caring too much about what others think, trying to please others. All the books I've read discuss how important it is to accept yourself but I'm just not sure how to do this.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

quick answer, Katie cause I'm only on my tablet, but check out The Self Acceptance Project on Sounds True. 30 minute interviews with different authors and opportunities to purchase books and audio by whoever appeals to you. You register to receive the series, 2 each week, and they are free. I'll add the link later.

Barb M. and veronica73 like this.
  3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Katie,
    I'm not having pain much anymore and loving myself is what I'm working on now.

My favorite books on this subject:
    • Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach
    • Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff
    • You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
    Enjoy the journey :)

~ Veronica

Barb M. likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

And I think it was Veronica who turned us on to the Self-Acceptance Project, wasn't it, V? The link is http://live.soundstrue.com/selfacceptance/ and they are in the business of selling products, but I think it's great that the series gives us the opportunity to hear all of these different people. So far I've only received one marketing email, so it's not too obnoxious.

They post two new interviews each week. Kristin Neff was the first person interviewed (she's awesome) and Tara Brach is on the list for later on. I really really liked the second and fourth interviews in addition to Kristin's. Nos. 5 and 6 will be posted today. You just register with your email address, and you will get an email each Monday with the link. You can also retrieve the earlier ones. There are four formats - audio download or online, and video download or online. I've got the audio files on my tablet and I can play them as much as I want.

And I forgot about Louise Hay - how could I? The godmother of self-acceptance! I checked out the DVD of the movie for You Can Heal Your Life from my local library - a LOT of these authors are probably available at your library.

Anyway, Katie - this is clearly a HUGE barrier for most, if not all of us, if not all of humanity! It's my biggest struggle as well and one that I put off addressing for way too long - so: good for you for plunging in right away!

Jan

veronica73 likes this.
  5. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

Hi Jan
    I registered but couldn't listen to the audio/video's posted there.

6. JanAtheCPA

I don't know what to tell you, CMA. When you sign in, do you end up at this page? http://live.soundstrue.com/selfacceptance/event.php

I have successfully downloaded the audio files to my tablet, and listened on my PC. It does take a while to load, online. Try downloading the files?

7. katie

katie New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will look into sounds true and the other books. Thanks again.

8. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Katie,

My vote is for Loving What Is, by Byron Katie. Not long on theory, but good, deep practical work that I found brilliant for self acceptance, as well as for making peace with things in general.

donavanf and Cheryl like this.
  9. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

I just read Radical Acceptance and found it to be an excellent book.

". . . suffering is a shared concern, a part of everyone's life. Pain does not belong to one individual. Not taking pain personally is essential to Radical Acceptance. As the Buddha taught, Life's difficulties are not owned or caused by an individual - our changing states of body and mind are influenced by myriad variables. When we recognize this, remaining open and vulnerable and accepting with each other, we heal together."

I think this quote not only speaks to us TMSers, but also to the importance of our sharing of our pain, suffering and support on this forum.

10. armchairlinguist

armchairlinguist Peer Supporter

I love Brene Brown's work and Pema Chodron (more meditation focused, but there is a lot about self-compassion).

donavanf and Barb M. like this.
  11. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Just popping in to add to this amazing list! (Love them all!) Check out Emmett Miller's guided audios on Amazon. He has some on self-acceptance, and that adds a new dimension, since you're not just reading, but re-programming the mind.

12. Barb M.

Barb M. Peer Supporter

The Sounds True project on self-acceptance was great. I was trying to take notes on each talk, but only got to about 5 or 6. Here's a link to what I did. I have Tara Brach's nearly word for word, and Kristin Neff's, too. Sparks of Self-Compassion

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  13. Barb M.

Barb M. Peer Supporter

And one more resource... this is a post that was based on a whole series of interviews of women writers, coaches, etc. on self-compassion, and if you follow the link at the end I think the main person put in together in a free e-book. 26 Ways to Love Yourself More

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Some excellent suggestions on books for self-compassion.
    Louise Hay is always so good... I especially like the Youtube video:
    "Louie Hay sits down with Tapping Solution's Nick Ortner."

It's not about self-compassion, but about MindBody healing in general.