1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Small victory - baby steps

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pingman, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Well I have a small victory in my TMS. I have slept the last two nights without a sleeping pill. Since my anxiety spiked about a month ago, I have been taking sleeping pills to help me sleep. Now that the TMS has moved from my leg which is 95% better to general anxiety, making me feel like my vision is off...I decided to try and get myself back to pre-anxiety state.

Night one was rough, when I awoke at 3am like every night I simple kept repeating to myself that it was just anxiety and stress. I eventually fell back asleep. Last night I slept all night.

Steve O, your posts have really helped me get motivated to start. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to overcome, never felt true anxiety and when it first happens the fear that you will never regain normalcy is daunting. I feel anxious but I can feel the small victories and have confidence I can do it.

Dr. Sarno's books state he believes anxiety and head issues can be caused by TMS when no other issue can be found. That gives me the motivation I need. I am also taking the advice of Walt and others and taking to my brain. I keep telling it that it is only anxiety and stress causing me the anxiety and it can't hurt me. I ahve also been meditating and visualizing areas of my life that have been painful.

Going to start the Structured Program today.

2. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Congratulations to you on your progress. I know from experience about facing anxiety head-on and you have accomplished a lot. Keep track of how far you have come and remind yourself of how strong you are!

3. Pingman

Thanks Mary! One other thing I keep telling myself is that there will be a positive from this fear and pain I am feeling. Someday I will reflect on this time and use it to help guide my son when he faces issues growing up. I won't ever let him repress his feelings but will engage him and make him share his thoughts and feelings so maybe he never feels what I am feeling right now.

Dahlia likes this.
  4. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

Pingman, I am right there with you. I delayed for a long time the TMS/anxiety connection. I used TMS for back and physical issues. I have been sleeping lousy myself and using self-talk also. When I read a post like yours it provides me support knowing "your not alone" out there is this life process. Continued healing and recovery.

5. Pingman

phillyjoe... you are not alone, I just said a prayer for you for God to ease your anxiety and mind before you sleep tonight. I sometimes look back at each of my anxiety episodes and the one thing I notice is that sleeping/Insomnia is the first thing that happens to me. That itself induces even more panic as I start wondering if I can function at my job with no sleep. Then it all starts to unravel.

When I am falling asleep now I just reflect over and over that my anxiety is like my leg pain that healed, it is stressed induced and nothing to worry about. Second best thing I did...never look at the clock again until the alarm goes off.

6. David B

David B Well known member

Pingman, congrats on the sleep progress. I've been there on sleep. In fact I'm back there in a way. Sounds like you found a good trigger for yourself .

If you are working with a MBS therapist make sure you ask them for tricks to get your sleep back on track. Mine gave me two that worked. I'm not sharing them only because I'm not a professional and don't want to influence you in a wrong directions..

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sleep, glorious sleep.
    That's wonderful progress you're making, Pingman.
    I always wondered why my father liked taking naps, even when we were on a picnic.
    Now I know. Sleep and naps are relaxing and rejuvenating.

I had a fantastic sleep last night. I usually get to sleep fairly fast, deep breathing and
    thinking pleasant thoughts. I wake up usually twice a night to take a pit stop.
    Last night I slept 9 hours straight and woke up at 7 am, my usual time. I didn't
    wake up until then, to make a pit stop.

I must have a clear conscience and am in control of my TMS repressed emotions.