1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Small successes

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by North Star, Nov 10, 2014.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey everyone! We've been in the sunny south for over a month now and I finally feel like I'm getting back into a routine. It's been a rough month, TMS wise but I have to remind myself of a few victories too.

First, I had a headache coming on. That has been my longest and most persistent TMS symptom. Headaches that last for weeks. On day 2 of the headache, I gave myself a good talking to…complete with a few swear words. Within an hour, the headache was GONE. No ibuprofen. No neck rub. Just a talking to.

I've dealt with other TMS symptoms successfully but this is the first time I chased off a headache.

The other event came just the other day. I have a small scar from an abscess that had to be cut into a few years ago…it was nasty stuff. (And most certainly symbolic of some seriously repressed rage.) When I looked at the scar, I was very happy to see it looking great. Another TMS thing for me is scar tissue just continues cranking out. (Over active nervous system much?)

The next morning, I woke up and would believe that damn scar…totally out of the blue…was infected and nasty looking. :eek: And then I was PISSED.:sour: First time in two years - I've never had it do this before.

I threw some antibiotic ointment on it and refused to hover over it in fear of another doctor's visit. I had an honest talk with myself and my hubby about some things that had angered me just that day.

I gave it minor attention with ointment and the next day…it's mostly gone.

A wise person once said that sometimes, "The only way out is through," and I believe I have gotten through some of my darker TMS hours from these past few months.

And as I mentioned on Blake's thread about his victory, I paused the other night, before bedtime, and realized I just felt GRATEFUL. Not for anything in particular…just a pure, genuine gratitude. It was pretty awesome.

yb44 and Colly like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations, North Star! I would say these are big successes.

It never ceases to amaze me how effective talking to one's brain is in eliminating symptoms. It seems too simple and easy to work, but it really does work like magic.

Gratitude is a powerful emotion that can change the brain. Revel in it.

So happy for you...

North Star likes this.
  3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks for sharing your success story North Star! Your progress is an encouragement to me. :)

North Star likes this.
  4. blake

blake Well known member

I agree Ellen, big successes indeed! I'm absolutely thrilled for you North Star. Getting rid of a headache through mind power alone is exactly what Dr. Sarno teaches us. Awesome success!

There were times in the last few months when it was very difficult for me to believe that the only way out was through. Thanks for reminding me of that. I can never hear it enough.

All the best

North Star likes this.
  5. North Star

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Ellen, Laudisco and Blake. We're all in this together…lightens the load when things get heavy in the journey. :)

blake and Colly like this.
  6. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

North Star - you rock!

North Star likes this.
  7. North Star

And so do you, Colly! Thank you!

8. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

The above quote is worth repeating and one which appears frequently in a book I've been reading. Migraines/headaches have been my own long running, stubborn TMS manifestation. I can't say that I'm 100% successful yet in seeing them off when they make an appearance but I'm getting better at it. If you do something once, you are proving to yourself that you can do it again.