1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Small step for some, giant stride for me!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Solange, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Solange

Solange Well known member

Just have to post this.
    Today, for the first time in at least seven or eight years I have been able to put my socks on and take them off. It wasn't easy but I did it and I know that everyone on this forum will understand how something so everyday and insignificant can be such a huge deal for someone with TMS. Last month I started washing my hair without any help (from my lovely husband) and that was a big deal too. I'm so determined to press ahead with all this and get my life back.
    I started on this journey back in January and it's been tough work most of the time. What has really helped me:
    1-Healing Back Pain by Dr Sarno for the initial concept and explanation. Thank you Dr Sarno!
    2-The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich for detailed explanations of anything to do with TMS and his own inspirational story which made me realise and accept that healing would take place when I was
    ready and not to dwell on someone else's recovery timeline.
    3- Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain by Fred Amir which encouraged me to set goals and gave me a few easy, clear strategies to follow. Very helpful visualization and reward and punishment tactics.
    I've still got a lot of work to do in other areas-so much negative conditioning to undo- but I feel optimistic at last.
    Wishing you all a symptom free day!

PKat, Mala, BruceMC and 2 others like this.
  2. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

WTG Solange...that is awesome and so inspiring. You keep going and celebrate your successes on your healing journey. Take care and we are cheering for you.

3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations Solange!!!

4. PaperCrane

PaperCrane Peer Supporter

That's great! Sounds like you are on the path to seeing many more improvements to come, too.

5. Solange

Solange Well known member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. I'm pushing ahead with this and even though I'm still getting a conditioned reaction it's less severe or it's bothering me less, I'm not sure which and I'm telling my brain that this is the way it's going to be from now on! It sure helps to know that there are people out there who understand though. I think I'm getting better at talking to myself assertively but occasionally I can't quite nail it. Doing a bunch of physio exercises (if they worked) would be a lot easier in comparison to the daily mental workout I'm doing at the moment!

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

These victories are what it is all about. They may seem small, but for people who have been there, we know how significant they are. The first time I was able to walk to class was a major milestone in my recovery. Each of these victories builds on each other. You are doing a terrific job!

7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I get the progress you are making. It is real. It is good to share it and make it real, and pat yourself on the back for the positive change and for the hard mental work you are doing. Keep it up!

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is an Awesome story Solange
    Thanks so much for posting it
    Healing is about a fight with your faith
    sounds like your winning
    thanks

BruceMC likes this.
  9. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Bravo, Solange! I keep telling myself, "babysteps!" But, yes, I understand....some of the baby steps feel pretty huge! Here's to more victories!

PKat and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  10. Calum

Calum Well known member

Well done! I remember my first symptom free day, I cling to it when doubts set in, so I know how important victories are big and small!

PKat and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Solange, it's great that you have been able to put on your socks and shoes again.

We who have been through TMS pain know the wonderful feeling that gives you.

When I began journaling because of back pain and discovered my boyhood was
    more a bed of nails than a bed of roses, I began to be able to bend down and
    pick up my darling dog Annie's poop from the back yard. No s--t.
    I felt like Sylvester Stallone winning the title in "Rocky"!.

Hope you keep going on the SEP program and keep us posted on your progress.

PKat likes this.
  12. nancy

nancy Well known member

Brilliant. so well put, you are a Master!!! I can relate to you Walt! Nancy

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Nancy. I try, but am not always sure I hit the target or
    missed it by a mile.

14. nancy

nancy Well known member

15. nancy

nancy Well known member

Walt, you are so supportive. I never had support as I realize now. Too bad for
    me. That is life. I don't feel sorry for myself, just greatfull that you and others are
    here for me now! I hold you in highest honor. Nancy