1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Slight relapse after a year

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Sussex TMS, May 5, 2015.

1. Sussex TMS

Sussex TMS Peer Supporter

It must be almost exactly a year to the day that I “discovered” TMS. Within a week or so I was feeling a lot better and I would say within about a month I was completely cured. After four years of agony I was finally able to ride a bike again and was so happy! I bought a new racing bike in September and have regularly been riding 50-odd miles, which would’ve been unthinkable before.

Over the course of the year, I noticed and dealt with other symptoms which were clearly TMS trying to find other ways to get to me. Particularly, headaches, dizziness, stomach pains, very mild back pain and eczema on my arm. But none of these were too bad, or lasted very long, and all together my life had improved so much. I’ve even started to help other friends who could well have TMS.

Just the last couple of days I’ve had back pain like it used to be and I’m stiff as a board. I wonder if this could be because it’s been too long since I’ve read Dr Sarno’s key tenets. I bump-started two cars on Sunday, pushing them down the dual carriageway (we’d all be stuck in a jam after a crash ahead) and had flat batteries. My back had already been a little sore that morning and I wonder if this had convinced me that I “should” have pain.

I’m convinced the real reason for this new back pain is increased stress. I’ve now got more work to do than I can possibly handle. But my employers are very supportive. They know I’m working hard and have made it clear that they appreciate it so I really shouldn’t be stressed by it. We’re also expecting a baby in September and I’m obviously worried about being able to hold it, carry it, play with it, etc. But I shouldn’t be worried about this. I need to think psychological!

Any words of advice would be most welcome. You guys were very kind before. I was hoping, after a year was up, that I would be able to add my testimony to the “thank you dr Sarno” website, and perhaps begin to help others more. I hope I can still do this!

2. Sussex TMS

Sussex TMS Peer Supporter

Edit: I've also had a string of flu and colds lately (after being healthy for ages). This has stopped me cycling temporarily and also got me down a bit. The TMS was always worse when I was otherwise ill.