1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

SKYPE TMS DIAGNOSIS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JamesH, Jun 9, 2019.

1. JamesH

JamesH Newcomer

Hi all. I've had various long-term injuries for 3 years, and came across the TMS theory a few months ago. I feel a lot of it applies to me, however I'm still determining what pain is chronic and what is structural. I'm from Australia, and flying to Los Angeles for an in-person diagnosis is not an option. I'm contemplating a skype diagnosis as I really want to see if im wasting my time thinking it is structural and that I am a TMS sufferer. Nothing beats in person consultations, but since I can only do skype, I want to ask:

Has anyone had a Skype diagnosis, and what was your experience/was it worth it?
    Apart from scan results, what else should I be prepared with?

These skype consultations are very very expensive ($400 USD for 45mins, or $570AUD), so I want to go in fully prepared to make the most of the 45mins. Spending $570 for them to say come back with 'this' information about yourself, or get this test done to rule out 'this or that' isn't possible for me financially.

P.s. i haven't listed all my injuries/scans done as I want this post to be about skype diagnosis' experiences. But in summary, I have had MRI's done of the injured areas (neck/shoulder/lower back/abs - all clean), but haven't had an EMG test or trialed a nerve block injection (both for suspected abdominal nerve entrapment) as I would prefer to avoid those paths.

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry, I don't have what you're looking for but... in your own words you have said you have a clean bill of health. What else could it be?

Have you read any of Dr. Sarno's Books? He is quite clear that he rules out tumors and such and if there aren't any he proceeds. He was very clear that he didn't make the diagnosis by subtraction BUT he was also clear that very few if any Drs would ever make that diagnosis. That left us West coasters on our own.... and the process still works.

I have been pain free for a long time. I NEVER received any diagnosis from a TMS doctor, though I have about a dozen from the 'system'. I am of average intelligence and that coupled with the descriptions in the book was sufficient to move forward with confidence. I could also Rule out any of those other treatments working... I had emg's and was diagnosed with 'nerve damage' and I had NINE (not a typo) epidurals (three rounds of three). I don't understand how you thing that any of that could have a bearing on you having TMS as Sarno addressed all of those questions in 'Healing Back Pain'. The whole back third of the text is devoted to dismantling the conventional diagnosis on a host of maladies.

I too wanted to hear it out of a doctors mouth . The only guy making that diagnosis on the west coast of the US was on a looooong vacation when I contacted UCLA. I made a call .... when his office got back to me a couple months later to set up an appointment I was already healed. I just read the book and proceeded with the program

Part of the recovery was sorting out all of the cognitive dissonance... Way too informed about anatomy , surgery, procedure and structures and on close inspection none of it made sense and much of it was contradictory... None of the doctors had helped and yet I still wanted a dr's opinion?(LOL)

Sarno's description was plenty vivid and convincing. It accounted for the symptoms and sequence better than any of the other 'theories' ...and that's how science works...throwing away the old theory for the one that accounts for phenomena more accurately?

Just trying to save you 500 bucks.

peace

3. had

had Peer Supporter

Where is this taking place? That's a ridiculous sum for a 45min video chat even with a physician let alone a therapist. In person therapy sessions with LCSWs etc are often a third of that or less. I'd advise seeing your doctor to rule out anything serious and then moving ahead with TMS theory. If you need reassurance write to Dr. Schubiner. I really hope that's not the LA clinic recommended here often because that pricing is absurd.

4. JamesH

JamesH Newcomer

Thanks for the encouraging words and suggestions to save some $$, but if I am staying true to the books then the first thing they state is they're not a substitution for a TMS physician's Diagnosis. I understand that lots of people don't end up needing to see a TMS physician and the books are enough (which is truly awesome for them!) but unfortunately the battle of belief in the diagnosis is too real for me. Also this was taking place at Dr Schechter's clinic. I assume him being one of the limited leading physician's in the field is the reason for the pricing.

Anyone else had an online video diagnosis?

had likes this.
  5. had

had Peer Supporter

You don't need a "TMS" physician's diagnosis. You need any doctor to examine you for serious issues..cancer, broken bones, diabetes etc...per the books...and if those aren't the cause then you have TMS. If you go this route you will spend the money, get told you have TMS, and be right back here doing the work. You will then need MORE reassurance, since we all do, and think about paying "consultants" who are just others like you who know about TMS from experience and have spun up some business to profit from spreading the info thats freely available here...you will have more doubts...more questions. We all go through it. You have this idea that if some "expert" tells you that you have TMS...and they all will because we all do...then its going to be the difference in your healing. It won't from experience. You will not always be 100% sure about every symptom no matter who tells you something, and despite the "you have to believe it in your bones" stuff that is ok.

At the end of the day it's your money, but from experience its a waste. I have had online video assessments for a few things and I always felt let down by them. Email Dr. Howard Schubiner (Author of Unlean Your Pain and a leading TMS doc) and tell him your history...he will tell you that you have TMS for free. Frankly I am shocked Schecter has the audacity to charge that for a 45min discussion on Skype.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  6. JamesH

JamesH Newcomer

Have already tried emailing Howard twice on separate occasions but he unfortunately never replied. :(

7. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Dr Schubiner is very busy but will usually get back to you.

In the meantime work on accepting that as the scans have come back negative you don’t have a physical cause for symptoms. I understand the benefits psychologically of having a tms doctor tell you that that’s what it is and if you can arrange this it would help to allay any doubts.

The other way is to talk to those that have been through this and successfully changed their lives and are working as coaches to help others. They will work through with you looking at the evidence for tms and looking at the mindset thats driving it.

8. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

James,
    I saw Dr Schubiner in person last June for a consult. Whenever I have emailed him, he has always responded but it usually takes 1 week or so. He is quite busy but very caring. Hopefully u have the right email for him? He does not Skype. It is worth the trip to Michigan.

9. JamesH

JamesH Newcomer

I used hschubiner@gmail.com

Ahh damn that's a shame he doesn't do Skype, as the TMSwiki 'find a doctor' list says he is actually available via internet video. Since im from Australia flying to Michigan is very expensive.

10. Timbercat

Sorry, I forgot you were in Australia. You have the right email for Dr. S. I am not familiar with other TMS practitioners who will skype except for the ones at the Pain Psychology Center in LA. I do know I have skyped successfully with their therapists 2018 and 2019. I don't know that I would be comfortable trying to skype with a physician especially for the initial time because they always like to examine you as well as spend time talking to you. Maybe if you have ruled out structural issues with your physicians, and done your own reading about TMS, you might benefit from talking with the therapists at the Pain Psychology Center - their fees for 50 minutes are about $120.00 or so - don't quote me - when they have interns, the fee is on the order of $85.00 for 50 minutes. I have always skyped with their interns because finances are pretty tight here, and it has been extremely helpful for me.

11. had

had Peer Supporter

He will talk to you by phone. He is an amazingly intelligent and caring person and worth talking to. He doesn't do any remote/video stuff that I know of but worth asking just in case he was up for it. I have a feeling he gets loads of emails so I would just try again in a week and not take it personally. You don't need to go to the States to get a disagnoses of TMS. You have TMS. You need to rule out structural injury/medical illness so you can believe its not those.

I hope I didn't sound harsh in my previous message...its just that I have been where you are many times for many things and realized it doesn't matter in the end because every expert opinion you pay loads for will not convince you at the end of the day and you will have to STILL do all the work. If you have read the books and forums there is nothing new an expert will tell you other than "Yes I think you have TMS" and then you will still have to "believe" it the best you can. If it was say $100 and was what you felt you needed I'd not be as adamant you try other things...but $500 is mental.

12. Timbercat

James,
    I am assuming u have looked at the Pain Psychology Center.com site? I have emailed Alan Gordon, Executive Director, with concerns/questions and got a prompt response. Maybe he could offer u some direction if u explain your situation. Just trying to find a way for u to get some help.

13. KevinMartilloViner

KevinMartilloViner Peer Supporter