I'm just not understanding how I stop the conditioned response.
If you have read Claire Weekes, are you implementing her strategies? Did you read her slowly and work towards her suggestions, or do you find yourself plowing through the books looking for immediate answers?
Honestly, it sounds a lot like the latter, and this is often normal for people with TMS. It is hard for your anxiety brain to slow down and stop doing it's constant scanning for both danger, and for answers to immediately "fix" what is "wrong".
The glute pain is NOT what is wrong, and no, you aren't quite fully understanding and absorbing that there is "nothing wrong" and your brain is proving it constantly. Having the information and getting your brain to click on to a completely different method of operating is two different things.
You are resisting.
Many people have trouble shifting into being able to mediate. Walking is good, and it's the perfect time to use Claire Weekes strategies. I still use them. There are many other means. Your mind will resist, but the way to break these kinds of mind patterns is to refuse to let them bring you down.
I began mediation by laying for 1-3 minutes and just congratulating myself for taking the time to do this for myself. My mind whirled but I'd just constantly re-direct it to my breath for 3 minutes...in about 2-3 weeks of doing this daily I could manage to listen to a guided meditation for 5-10 minutes with constant re-direction of my thoughts to the meditation. I find doing body scans helpful for a busy mind because they provide constant direction. I noticed that in about 3 minutes I'd begin to get restless, my nose would itch, I'd "need" to use the bathroom and learned to laugh at this resistance. I just kept meditation. This is exactly what meditation is! It's not perfect, the mind whirls because it's what the mind does - the constant re-direction IS the meditation until the mind settles, even a bit. You are in the process of training the mind, it's not an exercise in perfection - it's an exercise in accepting the imperfect. This is how you train the mind to accept whatever is currently happening: the physical sensations, the emotions, anything at all and all the things your brain normally pushes away and refuses to want to feel OR in the case of physical sensations hyper focuses on. You don't need to meditate, but that's exactly how one begins to slow the mind.
You learn to stop striving, and this begins to prepare you for breaking your conditioned response.
BUT
It's more than that.
If you have this supreme kind of anxiety, striving and forcing, the rushing and perfection, the difficulty with emotions and accepting the possibility that you have unrecognized internal anger and resentment. Focus then these are areas you need to work on as well as breaking the conditioned response.
SLOW DOWN
Stop worrying about comparing yourself to anyone else and begin to see where in life you always compare yourselves to others and see how that is holding you back - there's a surefire thing to create inner angst!
Claire Weekes gives you step by step directions to do things like break the cycle of conditioned responses and is very clear on where to place your mind during these times. If you haven't picked that up by reading her, then go back and slowly read her again and follow directions.
This "I Can't" attitude is self- defeatist, it's self-victimizing and isn't helping you, it's holding you hostage. This is mindset work, and you can accomplish this - this is exactly the type of thing you can pick up from reading Ozanich. He's all about the mindset work.