1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Shoulder; there's fluid in it. Being kinda desperate here..

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stranger, Jan 29, 2014.

1. stranger

stranger New Member

Hey guys

I've been dealing with this agonizing shoulder pain for some time now. I had it, during benchpress, about 1,5 years ago, and the pain has manifested itself in various ways. Anyway I kept a break from the workout, and slowly started again a year ago. Its all been good, eventhough I've had some setbacks (sometimes the pain comes). Today my doctor told me, that I have fluid in my shoulder joint, and that I should refrain from working out.

I am a whole-hearted follower of Dr.Sarno, and I've been reading some of his books. They've helped through a back-pain incident, but it seems like this shoulder thing, is something else, that just wont go away

My question is this

I love working out. It kinda keeps me from going insane at the moment. Wouldnt it be okay, if I just did my thing? I mean; thats the whole point of TMS - that I should ignore the pain, since my brain is decieving me.

Thanks alot guys!

2. stranger

stranger New Member

Swear to God, since the meeting with the doctor, I've had excruciating pain

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Stranger,

I hear your desperation and can relate as I've been there too at different points in my recovery. I think it is important to keep in mind that only a doctor can truly tell you if the symptoms you are having are TMS or something else. Right now a doctor is telling you that it is something else and advising you not to 'workout' (which I assume is lifting weights). If you are questioning his judgment, how about getting a second opinion? Or seeing a doctor who specializes in TMS?--though I know not everyone has easy access to such a doctor.

Also, a question I have for you is: does working out have to involve lifting weights? Is there something else you can do that would be easier on your shoulders why you sort out the cause of your pain?

It is very hard to overcome the advice of a medical doctor to not do something, even if your pain is due to TMS. That is a very powerful message. The only thing I know to truly counter it is to have another doctor that you trust and respect say there isn't a problem. Or a TMS doctor to say, the pain is due to TMS, and therefore, lift weights all you want.

And congratulations on resolving your back pain with the teachings of Dr. Sarno! That is truly an accomplishment. And welcome to the forum.

4. stranger

stranger New Member

Hi Ellen

Thanks alot for your reply. I really do appreciate it.

The problem is, that I live in Scandinavia; TMS isnt a well acknowledged diagnosis over here. I wouldnt know who to consult anyway. Furthermore, it isnt that easy seeing another doctor, just for the sake of curiosity, in Denmark. It really is something done rarely.

My doctor just told me, that everything was fine, but they found some fluid in the joint. He gave me some exercises to do, and adviced me not to do anything other than push-ups and stuff like that.

I honestly dont know, Ellen. Lifting weights kept me focused. I only truly relaxed in the gym. Seems ironic, that the thing I love the most, is the thing my condition is attacking.

I just figured, that if I kept talking to my self, and convinced my brain to think, that there is nothing wrong with me, and that everything is good, then it would be good. I have this strong feeling about it - just after the visit at the doctors office, I had the nastiest pain attack I've had for a long time. Couldnt it be because of the news, given to me? Even more important; wouldnt my doctors approach, prevent my self-treatment of TMS?

Thanks again!

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Ellen's answer is awesome. I'd like to add that you should rest it from a tms point of view too and the reason is if its tms or something real it still takes about the same time to heal. other than those little pangs we sort of have that I call symptoms imperatives - those should be gone by the next day or really soon -- different for everyone on that one. You know its from your repressions and your not repressing anymore stuff right -- not focusing on the body but thinking of the emotional conflicts it could be. Has something happened lately that might have got you stressed other than pain. Have you journaled? and done your emotional work.

You said you've read sarnos books and its helped your back pain now you should learn more about it since you got fluid now. Also the DR. opinion is over mine and it makes logical sense to rest an arm with fluid but you can get back on track much faster if you work the SEP program for sure.

Sarno always said when the pain subsides....
    Bless You

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Stranger,
    I understand about not being able to get a second opinion on your shoulder. The reason I suggested it is that believing that our symptoms are TMS and not something structural is critical to successful TMS healing. If you are comfortable with it, you can proceed as treating it as TMS as Herbie suggests above. It won't do any harm and could very well result in healing. I'm not an expert on Sarno, but I do believe he says to resume physical activity/exercise when the pain is almost gone. Only you can judge when that is.

You already know a lot about TMS if you were able to heal yourself previously from reading Sarno. Sometimes when pain comes back it can take a little more in depth work to make progress. And know that it is common for TMS to limit those activities that mean the most to us. That is how it is sure to get our attention. But keep in mind that the purpose of TMS is to distract us from repressed emotions. I agree with Herbie that you could benefit from doing one of the structured educational programs--either the SEP or Alan Gordon's Recovery Program, which are free on this site. I used Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain, and like it a great deal, too. I find journaling and mindfulness meditation to be two important tools that have helped me immensely.

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the opportunity to converse with others in different countries. I live in the US, but have been fortunate to spend some time in Europe, though I haven't made it to Denmark yet. But I'm a big fan of some Danish TV shows--Borgen, the Killing, and the Bridge (though I guess that one is technically Swedish).

Wishing you progress in your healing journey...

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.