1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

shoulder paın

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stranger, Jul 2, 2013.

1. stranger

stranger New Member

Hı folks

Hope you are all doing well out there!

Some couple months ago I suffered from the worse back paın ever experıened (beıng 22). Sınce I,ve got to know the concept of TMS, ıt slowly vanıshed. Instead the paın has manıfested ıtself ın my shoulder (I have had some ıssues wıth the affected shoulder before, due to an accıdent where I partıally perforated my supraspınatus tendon. Its been over a year now). It keeps ınteractıng wıth my daıly lıfe, and keeps me from workıng out properly (as thıs ıs one of my maın ınterests).

I have trıed to deal wıth ıt, by medıtatıon and self-talkıng, wıth lıttle or none effect. Could I have tms? What would you do?

Best regards!

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hiya Stranger,

One of the most common experiences people with TMS have is to their symptoms move around. I am not a doctor so I can't say for sure, but it does sound, on the surface, that your symptoms are very typical of TMS. Once your back pain went away, your unconscious had to find another symptom to distract you with, and it latched on to a former injury spot. We all have certain areas/body parts that we pay more attention to and/or more sensitive to changes in. Our unconscious will take advantage of any thing that will distract us from feeling and experiencing our emotions. After a year the shoulder injury would have healed. Also, if the pain was structurally caused it would start hurting a year after the accident.

The first step to accepting the diagnosis is to create an evidence sheet for why you have TMS. This is something Alan Gordon describes in his recovery program, which I highly advise you to check out. It will provide you with a great basis for moving forward with this approach.

3. Lilibet

Lilibet Peer Supporter

Forest,
    Could you please clarify the last sentence in your first paragraph? I'm confused. Or is it a typo? Inquiring, perfectionist minds want to know. :)

I can't remember if Gordon's evidence sheet asks you to go very far back in your history, but the first time I started working with Sarno's ideas in 2011, I made an exhaustive list of physical symptoms I'd had back to childhood. I included a column for medical treatment and one for stressers happening at the time. That really convinced me that this is TMS. It became obvious that they move around and had a psychological cause. My husband had actually started the list in 2007 (he saw the issue before I did) so I think it helps to consult someone who has known you a long time. I hope you give it a try, Stranger. :)