1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

shoulder issues "bone rubbing on bone" - trying to help a loved one, need MD recs

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by rabbit, Apr 26, 2015.

1. rabbit

rabbit Peer Supporter

I am trying to help a close family member. I think they have a structural issue but obviously I am not an MD.
    After years of suffering and get worse, they are seriously considering total shoulder replacement. Nothing has helped. Awful surgery and recovery, but when it works, it works so they say. Like a hip replacement, but kind of worse. Even if this person has a true structural issue, TMS thinking about it is not helping I can see very clearly... I think they have finally agreed to be evaluated by a TMS dr. They are in the NYC area. Ideally, an MD in NYC is best, but I have not heard good things about the Dr. who replaced Sarno at NYU.
    Dr. Paul Gwozdz in NJ has been recommended and from his website, I am encouraged. I wanted to see if others had recommendations for NYC or nearby MDs. I think shoulders are tricky. My "disc" -easy. The issue as I understand is there is no more cartilage and bone is rubbing on the bone. They are in a tremendous amount of pain with many activities / movements. So, if anyone knows anything about shoulders, let me know, and some other recs for MDs much appreciated. Even if the surgery is needed, being able to see how TMS thinking about the pain etc will be so important. Thanks!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

A cousin emailed me last week that his wife, a psychologist, is going to have shoulder replacement surgery soon.
    I don't know the details, but a friend who was a psychologist became very depressed listening to patients' woes and
    had to give up his practice. Maybe that has caused my cousin's wife's shoulder pain.

So I agree with rabbit.., try to talk to a TMS doctor and also see if the Structured Educational Program will help you.
    You can do those things hopefully before you get surgery. I would do anything before I would go under the knife.
    Often, it is unnecessary.

3. Lori

Lori Well known member

Hi Rabbit. Just remember--just because a structural issue is diagnosed by an MD does NOT mean that is the cause of the pain. What my MRI showed on film was not the cause of my pain because I am pain free through Dr. Sarno's method.

BruceMC likes this.
  4. rabbit

rabbit Peer Supporter

Thanks Lori. Exactly - same for me. I really want him to a TMS MD, who can see what's "structural" but may be TMS.