1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

should i try eliminating diet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jan 13, 2019.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

could allergies like gluten intolerant or dairy be tms? im having dry/cracked hands, bloated and constipation and wanted to try eliminating gluten, but im also constantly washing my hands and in stress atm

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Before eliminating gluten, go to see your doctor and ask to get tested for Celiac. My husband was diagnosed a month ago and you can’t get tested if you are already off gluten. Your hands are dry and cracked from washing them frequently though, not from a gluten intolerance. And yes, intolerances (not Celiac) can be caused by tms.

3. stevow7

hello i asked because i eliminated bread 3 days ago and my skin is becoming less dry and my depression is “subsiding” but now my lower back hurts lol

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I've said this before but i'll re-iterate it- there is substantial evidence out there that food intolerances (not true allergies like Celiac) are frequently nocebo effects, and going on an elimination diet can give you a placebo effect. Think of these "intolerances" as TMS equivalents (I believe some new research just came out about this!)

stevow7 likes this.
  5. stevow7

thanks a lot! God bless you all!

6. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I have become an expert on Celiac and gluten intolerances since my husband was diagnosed with Celiac. A few comments about your post; you wouldn't notice a difference in just 3 days even if you had gone completely gluten free, just eliminating bread wouldn't make a difference (you would have to eliminate all gluten), and dry skin isn't a symptom. There are symptoms that affect the skin, but they are rashes, hives, and sometimes bad acne. Unless you live in the tropics, your dry hands are from the colder dryer air and washing your hands too much.

7. lowella

lowella Peer Supporter

I'm looking for this research if you have any links - thanks! I don't deal with it but have friends who do...

8. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Here is an example of this: https://www.nature.com/articles/ajg2017483 (Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial for the Diagnosis of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity in Children) testing in children for non-celiac "gluten sensitivity", apparently 96% failed to exhibit any correlation with actually eating gluten in a double blind test. Here is another example in adults: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S154235651630547X

Just the abstracts, but the general gist of a lot of food sensitivity is that many are nocebo effects, like TMS.

lowella likes this.