1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Shallow breathing

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Endless luke, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

I've been having an issue with shallow breathing that's really affecting my ability to do things. I start doing these sharp exhales through my nostrils and I feel tired. It's the tiredness that has more of an affect on me. This type of breathing doesn't seem to be under my control and isn't related to me being in a particular emotional state. I'm always in it when I wake up in the morning.

2. seanpat

seanpat New Member

Luke,
    I have had that on and off for years. It seems to come and go and I don't really know what triggers it. Sometimes it is obvious because I'm anxious other times I seem to have it but I'm not anxious and it makes me anxious. Currently I have it and I convince myself that I have Asmara some long disorder even though I can exercise petty well. It does make you tired over time and that has led me to experience it even when I exercise. If I'm not well rested and I push myself it seems to make it worse. I'm convinced that it is TMS except when y TMS is bad and I'm convinced i is a lung problem. Hang in there mine usually just goes away on its own like most of these things over time.

3. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

Seanpat,
    Thank you for adding your comment- it's valuable to hear how similar your experience is especially regarding exercise. It's hard for me to understand how I can feel a little out of breath when exercising and feel the same out of breath when lying in bed. I try and convince myself that it's part of the recovery- getting oxygen to those oxygen deprived muscles.

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Luke, I started reading Claire Weekes and ran into the following:
    "THE SHOCK OF WAKING
    Also a sensitized body can react to the slightest shock. Even the mild shock of waking from sleep can make a heart race. "
    (and somewhere else)
    " I have sometimes been surprised at how quickly a patient can recover from shallow breathing when he loses fear of it...... do not be disappointed if, despite understanding, you still have occasional difficulty in breathing deeply. It is not important. Acceptance (real acceptance) once more works the miracle by releasing tension."

Breaking the fear and the constant focus on your breathing is key for you. Do you ever experience not breathing shallow after a period of not focussing on it? If so, you know it is TMS. The respiratoy centre of your brain automatically regulates your breathing in a near perfect way. If it wouldn't, how would you breath while sleeping?

I suggest her book "Essential help for your nerves". It is the only book I purchased besides Healing back pain. It also sheds some light on the fatigue you talk about.

5. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

Ugh! Lately i’ve been suffering from shallow breathing and difficulty catching my breath. an asthma inhaler makes it worse. when i’m
    not thinking of it, it seems to go away. but when it’s bad, usually while i’m trying to go to bed, it creates crazy anxiety and panic. it’s my latest TMS bullshit.

6. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hang in there! This is just an anxiety symptom. Very common.
    Are you treating yourself with compassion? Do you still keep up with your tms practices? Journal? Take time just for you without engaging in worry/ rumination etc.
    I posted about self pressure a few days ago, Alan Gordon has some great insights into his, and it helped him.

7. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

YES! indeed, i know my shallow breathing is TMS because it doesn’t bother me when i’m sleeping. and it doesn’t bother me when i’m busy in the garden or lost in a project. it only bothers me when i’m “resting” or when i’m just going about everyday stuff.
    It simply “feels” like an anxiety manifestation. So, i’ve been doubling down on my journaling, meditating and just telling myself it’s TMS and not scary and simply a trick of my brain
    in the “freeze” mode.

JanAtheCPA likes this.