1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Severe hayfever

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Megan, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Megan

Megan New Member

When my hip pain eases, I seem to get severe hayfever that prevents me from doing ANYTHING, or I get the start of a headache. I can steer the headache off with my TMS knowledge, but not the hayfever. Also, journalling isn't emotional or stressful for me. I fear I will only 'trick' the TMS away by acquiring knowledge, as must have happened last time seeing as the pain has returned 6 yrs later, but I really want to cure it. I am struggling to find things for my lists and I feel a bit stuck.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It's amazing how cagey our unconscious can be. If one symptom doesn't work, it tries another... the symptom imperative!

Have you tried the Wiki's Educational Program? Some people have found it very helpful for jumpstarting their progress.

I do wonder if you're being too hard on yourself, though, about tricking your brain. What I mean is that you were pain-free for 6 years! TMS is a natural part of life, and it's natural for it to come back. Just because it has come back for you doesn't mean that you have somehow failed to do something. Sure, you may have more work to do, but six years without pain is quite an achievement.

Sometimes I think that the people who have really intense journaling sessions have it easier (is this true? What do others think?). I also sometimes have difficulty connecting with my emotions and journaling ends up being more of an intellectual exercise rather than an emotional one, defeating the point. Yet I know that there is something there, because I sometimes get small symptoms and, well, I can just feel that there are still issues I'm still struggling with. The only thing to do is to keep working on it because, what other options are there?

3. Megan

Megan New Member

Thanks Forest. I'm up to day 9, great program, VERY helpful.

4. Forest

Hiya Megan - How's the educational program going? TMS symptoms can always be a little tricky, especially in your case where it sounds like you had a littl ebit of the symptom imperative going on. One thing that I have noticed is that our unconsious mind will try to throw up road blocks for us when we first start out doing this approach. That's why it is so important to write out a personal commitment to the program, and say that we will continue to do this work no matter what our unconsious mind throws at us.

Hope all is well

Forest

5. Megan

Megan New Member

Hi Forest, thanks for writing. I'm re-inspired to keep going. I started some power walking which told my brain I was structurally sound as well as the structured ed program was. I slowly became pain free. That then 110% confirmed my TMS diagnosis to me. We went on a holiday for 5 days. NO PAIN, I even pushed a pram and jogged around playing games with my older kids. No pain. We came home and over the next 24 hours intense pain built up in my right inner thigh area to the point of it feeling like barbed wire catching me at any chance. Anyways, I am not feeling anxious or fearful. I am feeling empowered to work on my mind, to be kind to myself, to see my pain as a sign and to try and untangle the mess in my subconsious mind about being back home... no hayfever tho, i kicked that nasty little symptom! Thanks forest, Megan

Forest likes this.
  6. Forest

Megan - It is great to hear that you have had success even if it has been brief. It is really interesting that you mentioned you were pain free during your vacation. This is a common occurance in people with TMS/PPD. When we get away from life's stresses, our symptoms can just fade away. If your symptoms continue ask yourself how you felt about returning from your vacation. Did a new/old stressor pop up that could be contributing to the symptoms?

I am so happy that you updated us on how well you are doing. Your committment to this approach is inspiring and I think you are in the right mindset.

Best,

Forest